Rubber / pretend baits

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Rubber / pretend baits

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have never tried rubber baits and the reason is probably down to not having confidence in it or because I have got real bait with me.

I always thought fish found there food by sense of smell so imitation baits would not have the right smell but lots of people seem to use them to good effect.

I think the maggots or casters would be most effective in clear water when Rudd were taking bait on the drop.
I'll have to give them a try sometime.
Mind you if I don't get a bite in five minutes I'll change over to real ones. :Hahaha:

Wal.

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

some time ago I tried using fake baits..i never had a bite and when I got home I chucked them in the dustbin :Hahaha:

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Fake maggots are particularly good when trotting using live maggots as feed for a multiple of reasons.

1) They don't get sucked/elongated by smaller fish nibbling at them
2) There is no need to keep re-baiting the hook

I believe that once the fish get the taste for the real maggots being fed into the stream they don't have to time to evaluate the fake and take it readily.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

I've bought them all (as you do) including my latest Image
They look better in reel life, if I'm truthful I've not had great success with fake baits, but will keep
plugging away as it must me psychological?
niceroach

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I use artificials a fair bit, mainly for carp but also when maggot fishing for barbel. Two rubber casters just sink under the weight of a strong size 14 hook. They work best when carp are feeding in silt or when they are cruising the margins looking for food. When margin fishing I often fish them on their own with no free offerings. The carp in my avatar was caught like this.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

NiceRoach wrote:I've bought them all (as you do) including my latest Image
They look better in reel life, if I'm truthful I've not had great success with fake baits, but will keep
plugging away as it must me psychological?
Fake croissants
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

The Mog

Post by The Mog »

I use fakes in conjunction with the real thing. Quite a few of lakes around here are very silty so 2 pieces of corn on a hook one fake stops the hook getting buried in the mud .Also use a fake corn mix in the margins a single normal grain doesnt act the same as the other free offerings because of the weight of the hook .
I must admit using it by itself has my brain a little confused in the confidence stakes .

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've only used small imitation baits like maggot, hemp and corn as the fish are generally grubbing about on my loose feed and will investigate anything that looks like food. the buoyant fake corn is also good for either popping up a bait or adding a flash of colour to the top of it for extra attraction.

False worms, bread, prawns etc don't excite me. I know Chris Hornsby (owner of Enterprise - no, not the space ship Loop), through my magazine days and have discussed hid range many times. He will make and sell whatever people demand hence some of the more bizarre items on display.

The most effective by far has to be the corn. On a difficult gravel pit in Gloucester I well remember a lady angler with a very casual approach to the sport (she and hubby were camping nearby), who simply lobbed a couple of grains out into the pit and landed an upper twenty common whilst all around was struggling. They are very attractive to fish but mainly on a visible level.

Mind you, with all these rubber baits the groundbaiting is bloody expensive.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

:( oh I was going to ask for a ride in the space ship
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Bream me up snotty :Cool:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”