Freeze sweet corn? before using it

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Freeze sweet corn? before using it

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I freeze all particle baits before I use them. It helps to start the breakdown process which the fish like and releases the oil content quicker.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I always have a pint of frozen maggots in stock, just as good as live ones and great for that impromptu session.

Wal.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

Hovis wrote:
Gord wrote:i normaly freeze my left over corn even better leave some out untill the juice goes a bit snotty the roach seem to like it
Snotty baits now thats a thing! I used to ferment tigers until the bucket was ready to explode and have had some good results on them. Hemp on the other hand isn't so good when left to turn. If it starts smelling sour its all but useless in my opinion.
your right about hemp, frozen is alright but its better fresh cooked and even better if its still warm
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I always use frozen corn. I don't bother with tinned. I defrost mine rapidly with boiling water. Perhaps that's why I never have a problem hooking it but others do?

I pour enough boiling water over the corn to just cover it. I then give it a stir with my finger (the heat energy will get used up almost straight away) and leave for about 40 seconds. If some bits are still hard I add a bit more boiling water for a few seconds. Then drain it.

Frozen is quick, simple, convenient and extraordinarily cheap bait. A great big bag in Aldi is about 80p! :Sun:

I also rate Aldi "chopped ham and pork". Much larger tins than spam and loads cheaper. I find the fish don't care about the brand of meat.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Gord wrote:
Hovis wrote:
Gord wrote:i normaly freeze my left over corn even better leave some out untill the juice goes a bit snotty the roach seem to like it
Snotty baits now thats a thing! I used to ferment tigers until the bucket was ready to explode and have had some good results on them. Hemp on the other hand isn't so good when left to turn. If it starts smelling sour its all but useless in my opinion.
your right about hemp, frozen is alright but its better fresh cooked and even better if its still warm
Definitely disagree with that one. My results on thawed fresh frozen hemp have always been better than fresh cooked and used. The comment you quote Hemp on the other hand isn't so good when left to turn. was referring to hemp starting to turn and ferment - not frozen fresh and used fresh from the freezer. The freezing action helps to start to release the natural oils much quicker.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Shaun right on this one I was referring to pre cooked hemp that had been left in the bucket as apposed to defrosted "fresh" hemp. I now do a big batch and freeze around 1kg bags ready for use. I used to boil sacks of the stuff on the banks and to be honest never noticed a great deal of different between the 2
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”