Freeze sweet corn? before using it

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Freeze sweet corn? before using it

Post by Sussex Micky »

Recently after a fishing trip and being left with unused sweet corn ,I decided to freeze it and add it to the groundbait on the next excusion out.
After thawing it out from the freezer it became very soft and after trying it as a hook bait, I have personally found it hooks and fishes much better this way..sinse then I always pre freeze the corn niblets the day before I am using it..it works for me, has anyone else find its better this way?
:Hat:

Davejass
Rudd

Re: Freeze sweet corn? before using it

Post by Davejass »

Hi Mickey
I read somewhere that frozen corn was used by match fishermen in preference to tinned. Personally I am not a big fan of it. It never seems to work for me! I have to resort to my favourite cheese paste eventually. I think bait is a bit of a confidence thing anyway!!
Dave@ Hastings

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I often freeze leftover bait. I have done it with corn, hemp tares and even cubes of meat.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Yes. I rarely discard bait and freeze (and re-freeze) nearly everything. Can't say I've noticed much of a difference in catch rates though (probably because I don't catch much anyway!)
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I often freeze bait. The only thing with corn is I always defrost it in water to try to stop it floating.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I prefer cheap tinned home brand corn from T----'s it stays on the hook well. When I'm missing bites I just hook it differently!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Corn does soften up with freezing - sometimes too much! A small tin of Green Giant for hook bait & cheap stuff, either frozen or tinned, for feed.
Peanuts are superbly soft after cooking and then freezing as are other beans & pulses.

Just as word of warning please be careful about freezing & re-freezing meat & fish several times. A colleague nearly died when using re-frozen mackerel!

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

It is, for me anyway, a damn side cheaper to get a large frozen bag of corn and just take a small bait tub with me each session than buying tins. I usually cook up a big bag of maize and freeze it. Sometimes my bait freezer is more full than our food freezer with a plethora of various baits.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

i normaly freeze my left over corn even better leave some out untill the juice goes a bit snotty the roach seem to like it
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Gord wrote:i normaly freeze my left over corn even better leave some out untill the juice goes a bit snotty the roach seem to like it
Snotty baits now thats a thing! I used to ferment tigers until the bucket was ready to explode and have had some good results on them. Hemp on the other hand isn't so good when left to turn. If it starts smelling sour its all but useless in my opinion.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”