Cheese Paste

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
MrChubby

Re: Cheese Paste

Post by MrChubby »

I use olive oil to soften it. I also add a roll of that smelly soft garlic cheese in addition to Danish Blue, puff pastry, food colouring and mature cheddar. Add flour if it seems too oily until you get a soft dough that feels right. Stinks the kitchen out but well worth the domestic hassle in my experience.

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Might I ask why bother freezing the mix that's not required immediately ?. We used to leave it in a cool dark place until it became really stinky and ripe replete with mould !. It seemed that the older the mix the more the fish loved it , and we never removed the mould but kneaded it into the bait .....

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

Well , my first afternoon's chubbing of the Autumn went well.Using my blue cheese paste(patent pending )and crust technique seven solid chub up to 4-10. Delightful sport- didn't miss a bite , which is very unusual , but lost one fish which I suspect was a little pike as hook length went- and pike do take the odd fancy to this stuff . I know people who use boilies on hair rigs for chub - even , or especially , Anglers Mail recommended a 2oz lead with a bolt rig for chub .. God only knows why .

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Love to trundle the baits around for chub and to be able to feel the first tentative plucks on the bait, sometimes able to strike immediately, sometimes needing to give them enough rope. Doesn't quite seem the same waiting for one to hang itself.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

If I can add just one suggestion to your recipe Mark (I know its too late but maybe for next time), instead of butter or marg, try some smooth peanut butter. Lots of fish love peanuts and the PB makes for a very smooth paste. But ultimately all cheese paste recipes as does a lump of good old cheddar wrapped around a size 6.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Knocked up another kilo of paste at work on Saturday. Stilton, goat's cheese, parmesan, fresh white bread crumb, puff pastry and marg. All for free :Sun: Then vacpacked and this will stay in the fridge instead of the freezer

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Thanks to this thread I was inspired to give cheese paste another go, having always failed to make it successfully on previous attempts. Last Saturday whilst Mrs Wagtail was out ( :whistle: ) I bought some ingredients and made up some paste using Danish Blue, Mature Cheddar, ready made pastry mix and a splash of glycerine - following Mark's rolling and mixing method. In the end it didn't smell as much as I expected :Scared: Into the freezer it went, all apart from one ball that accompanied me on an afternoon trip during this week.

The plan was to trot breadflake but the gusting wind, blowing downstream and into my face, made float control really tricky. After persevering for two hours and with no bites forthcoming and frustration setting in, I set up a ledger rig and tried the paste. Second cast, tap-tap, and a fish!

I nice chub not far short of 3lb. I didn't take a picture because it had an enormous wound to its right hand side towards the tail which I later mentioned to a passing angler. He told me that there are now otters on the stretch...

Thanks to the advice on here I produced a paste that stayed on the hook, didn't go too hard in the water and attracted a fish. A good result :Thumb:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done Wagtail, its nice to catch on something you have made yourself. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

any one tried blitzing a banana into cheese paste? it seems to keep it soft in the cold winter water.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I have banana cheese paste works a treat
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”