Cheese Paste

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Cheese Paste

Post by Mark »

With winter soon approaching it is time for me to start to make some cheese paste. This year I have read the recipes in the books that I have of Richard Walker, Peter Stone, John Wilson and Jim Gibbinson.

What I made last year was my own concoction that seem to work and caught me a few chub but it not stay as soft as I would have liked when in the cold water for more than five minutes.

Here is the recipe.

250g of Mature cheddar
250g of Blue stilton
Clover butter
Short crust pastry mix

Basically I grated the cheeses and kneaded them together then added a bit of pastry mix and butter till I got what I thought was the right consistency.

Does anyone want to share their cheese paste recipes or comment on other anglers recipes.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Richard C
Brown Trout

Re: Cheese Paste

Post by Richard C »

I'll pick up the reins if I may Mark. The addition of oil instead of margerine/butter to most and including your recipe will make the paste more durable, moist and less prone to extremities of temperature.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I'd love to see a few recipes too. I've never used a paste bait before.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

quite similar to my recipe except I use ready to roll frozen pastry (which is grated along with the cheese) good luck getting the stench off your hands :Brickwall:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Peter Stones recipe still works today .
Bumble

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Richard C wrote:I'll pick up the reins if I may Mark. The addition of oil instead of margerine/butter to most and including your recipe will make the paste more durable, moist and less prone to extremities of temperature.
What sort of oil Richard, olive, vegetable or other.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I make my own bread crumb from dried slices of supermarket 'value' white bread ... using an old food processor to grind it, then sieve to get a fine crumb. This is the base for my cloud ground bait, as well as my paste. I store it away in sandwich bags.

For my paste ... I mix extra mature cheddar and blue cheese together in the food processor until it's a smooth paste ... then slowly add the crumb until it makes a firm but pliable paste.

I then remove 1/2 of the paste, separate it into 2 halves and set aside.

To the half in the processor I add hemp seed which has been finely ground, adding a bit more crumb if the paste needs it to hold it's firm but pliable consistency. This mixture is then removed from the processor and, again, separated into two halves.

I now have 4 balls white paste of paste ... 2 plain and two with ground hemp seed.

I then place one of the plain balls into the food processor, and add a few drops of red food colouring ... and a little more crumb if needed.

This is then removed, and I place one of the balls of hemp lace paste into the processor ... and add the colouring again.

I am left with 4 balls of paste ...
1 white(ish) cheese.
1 white(ish) cheese with hemp.
1 red cheese.
1 red cheese with hemp.

I split these into half golf ball sized balls and freeze them ... enabling me to take one of each of the four with me when I go fishing.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

My number one winter bait for sure.

Virtually identical to yours ,Mark...

200g *Extra* Mature Cheddar
200g Danish Blue
150g Galbani Dolcelatte - Not sure why but this seems to make a massive difference.
Shorcrust pastry mix
Margerine

I grate both the cheddar and the Danish blue with a fine grater, but the Dolcelatte is so soft I just knead it in by hand.

This winter I'm going to mix in a little garlic salt!!

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Mark wrote:
Richard C wrote:I'll pick up the reins if I may Mark. The addition of oil instead of margerine/butter to most and including your recipe will make the paste more durable, moist and less prone to extremities of temperature.
Well I've used just vegetable oil Mark but I sometimes enfused this with chilli flakes, garlic and sometimes both. :eyebrow:
Last edited by Richard C on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Mark wrote:
I`d had problem in the past, keeping the paste soft, so use either the margarine with olive oil in it, or as I do, a small quantity of either vegetable oil or hempseed oil. I don't make to much up, as I like keep my small amount in a sealed plastic box in the fridge, as the paste/cheese needs a higher temperature for the paste to activate ie cheese flavour leaches' quicker...

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”