A bread bait from way back

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Necarper

A bread bait from way back

Post by Necarper »

The wet bread topic reminded me of an old bait that I was shown some 40 years ago by a then elderly angler, in his late 70s. He used to take a slice of a large sliced loaf, spread kraft cheese on it, then put another slice on top. Cut the crust off and use a rolling pin to flatten it to about 3mm. He then cut the sandwich on the diagonal one way and then the other to give triangles about 1/2 inch on all sides. He them put them in a plastic bag and left them in the fridge overnight. Fishing day he would take the bag and use one triangle on an 18 or 16 hook. It would swell in the water and he caught many good roach and crucian with them. I tried it myself and caught a few good fish on the canal where even caster wasn't getting a knock. I later tried peanut butter and other spreads such as potted beef, crab (Shiphams brand) and even some jam, all with some success. It's a bait I still use today and have taken several good carp here in the US with it.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: A bread bait from way back

Post by Dave Burr »

Great tip, I'd long forgotten about spreadable cheese sandwiches as bait. The addition of peanut butter or shrimp paste is an excellent suggestion and I reckon it would be perfect for those difficult winter days.

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Thankyou NC I've not seen seen bread and cheese spread used that way before . I've usually just made them into a paste ,will have to give your way a go.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

A very good idea and if you forget your lunch you've got something to nibble! :Chuckle:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Sounds like a good bait- will have to give it a try with cashew nut butter- tastes much nicer than peanut butter so maybe the fish will like it.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Interesting idea but does it catch more than if one used plain bread triangles. I'd experiment!! Could it be just a perceived advantage?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I'd of thought it would be a useable bait throughout the year, as the water warms up a bit the flavour of the filling would dissolve a bit more.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Adding a little salt to the cheese or prawn paste sandwich gets those taste buds going with Crucians..and other Carp rather annoyingly :Scared:
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

And you could always try putting it in what is called, according to my mother-in-law anyway, your George Formby Grilling Machine. Conjurs up all sorts of weird images that does.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Adding a little salt to the cheese or prawn paste sandwich gets those taste buds going with Crucians..and other Carp rather annoyingly
Which made me think of possibly using thinly sliced or grated blachan in the sandwich. I gather it's sold as a carp bait these days but I always have some in the fridge for cooking. Perhaps nam pla, the Vietnamese salty fish sauce might be used as well.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”