Mashed Bread on still waters

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Barbulus
Tench

Re: Mashed Bread on still waters

Post by Barbulus »

Don't forget to dip your nets, slings, and mats in the tanks to try and control the outbreak of the virus at Tockenham a few months ago. Tight lines !

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Bumbles Patented Bread Mash (sweetened with condensed milk and honey) had the desired effect on the tench and crucians at the club lake I fished last year :fishing1:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Bob Brookes wrote:I can fully endorse the use of bread mash for tench and bream. For many years I started the season on Hardwick Parks ski lake with my late pal, Woody. We used to obtain sacks of bread, buns, cakes etc from a friendly baker. It was mostly stale or even mouldy and well past its sell by sell by date.

We used to arrive at the lake on the 15th and spent a couple of hours raking 2 swims to make a 'V' of clear swim through the Canadian pond weed, which was by now growing up. We then set to and broke up the breadstuff into large plastic boxes and soaked it, while kneading the 'gunk'. After the whole lot had taken up the water and became sloppy, we 'dried it off' with brown crumb ground bait. To this mouldable potion we added catering packs of sweetcorn and pints of maggots.

Before retiring to the bar for a few jars we loaded each of the swims with about 30 cricket ball sized portions. Next morning at dawn more of the balls were lobbed in and the rake put through the swim again. We cast in our floats straight after raking and fired in some pouches of maggots. Within minutes we would catch and would continue to do so right through until lunchtime. At the time we used keep nets, something I no longer possess, and we would have a 1 o'clock weigh in. One year I had caught 32 tench all over 5lb, 13 being over 6. There would be a few large bream and the occasional roach.

So, in answer to the question, yes it does work and I would thoroughly recommend it.
Ahhhh......those were the days ...............whatever happened to those past times when you could bait up and catch a netful of tench.
One morning Back in the early 80' s I caught 33tench after feeding in balls of groundbait ( breadcrumb) laced with magotts and sweetcorn.

Now catching a handful of tench in a season seems the norm.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I used liquidized bread laced with maggots, casters, crushed up boilies, lumps of spam, sweetcorn and anything else I have to hand that fish find tasty when fishing still waters for tench and bream. I don't think they are a fussy fish.

Just don't squeeze it together too much or it way stay as one big lump - which isn't, I don't think, the desired effect you want.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Trevor wrote:Bumbles Patented Bread Mash (sweetened with condensed milk and honey) had the desired effect on the tench and crucians at the club lake I fished last year :fishing1:

Is this his cow paste recipe? If so it worked for me too.

viewtopic.php?f=298&t=12924&hilit=cow+paste

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Doc Quince

Post by Doc Quince »

Kingfisher wrote:
Trevor wrote:Bumbles Patented Bread Mash (sweetened with condensed milk and honey) had the desired effect on the tench and crucians at the club lake I fished last year :fishing1:

Is this his cow paste recipe? If so it worked for me too.

viewtopic.php?f=298&t=12924&hilit=cow+paste
Gonna have to try this :Hahaha:

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

I use mashed bread a lot on still waters. On my last session I caught
Carp and Bream useing maggot on the hook. I Normally run a couple of old loafs though a blender.
Then on the bank if you lightly squeeze a small hand full and through it out it floats
for a second or two and then sinks to the bottom in a cloud.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Hi Firebird,

I grew up fishing the Exeter Canal. It was where I caught my first Roach. You are talking about the Lyme Kilns area. Deep and wide, with some massive Carp, Big Pike, Slab Bream and now lots of Tench. Spent many a happy morning, fishing the waggler at long range with the mist rolling up on that venue.

Alas, I have not fished it for almost 10 years as I no longer live in Devon. I hope to get a chance this summer, with the old glass 60s match rod and my Mitchell 410. My parents still live in the village not far away.

Happy days

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”