Baits for Crucian Carp

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Solithar
Roach

Re: Baits for Crucian Carp

Post by Solithar »

Crucian Carp baits ?

I have caught it on quite a few kinds of bait: small compost red worms (I'll find the proper name for this later), earth worms (black in color), worms found under old decomposing logs (greenish in hue), then maggots, bread, peeled wheat, polenta, sweetcorn (canned), fresh sweetcorn (when available). For some time I have used "expanded corn" (which around here is called "puffi") for spots where the carp was nosing along the crucians, but gave that up, as I now only use home made and traditionally procurable baits. That is why I make my own boilies and the like.
Also, I want to add that, though it surprised me at the time, some little red larvae of the "Colorado potato beetle" could bring you some crucian. If you can find a potato garden during the beginning of the season, that is. And if you can stand the process of putting them on. They also brought me my biggest rudd so far. Wonderfully colored fish!

This year's crucians preferred canned and fresh sweetcorn, red worms and bread. But I really want to try green peas (canned) on my next meeting with carassius.
Last edited by Solithar on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucian,
A beginner angler thankful for the endless and blessed joy of angling.

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Doc Quince

Post by Doc Quince »

I like nice big Rudd

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Punched bread is also good, I also feed with punched bread.

JAA

Post by JAA »

I've done well with worms, corn, bread (under rated) and also small shrimp. Crucians learn fast though (especially once they're over 8oz or so) and a big catch on one bait will usually be followed by catch rates falling off on the bait used and often in 'that' swim on any bait. It pays to take a change bait with you and keeping changing baits if you fish the same places regularly.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Red maggot fished tight to the marginal growth is proving very effective over the last few weeks on, otherwised unfished, local woodland/farm ponds. Otherwise, during the warmer weather, at renowned venues such as Marsh Farm and the Summer Pit, I found the corn, very soggy pumped up 6mm expanders, small worms or small bits of flavoured l/meat proved very effect for the bigger fish.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

2.5 and 4mm expander pellets... once pumped up/soaked the 2.5.. go up to about 4mm and the 4mm up to about 6mm.
Use the biggest hook you can bury in the bait whilst leaving the point showing... I use size 16 for the 4mm and an 18/20 for the 2.5mm
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”