Wasps as bait

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Wasps as bait

Post by Rutland Rod »

To try and keep the 'jaspers' from eating our gage/plums a friend suggested half filling jam jars with water and a bit of jam/honey, making a small hole in the lid and hanging them on the tree's. On returning from a couple of weeks away the jars are stuffed with dead wasps (plus some on their last legs) they look like they would be a good bait, has anyone used them as opposed to wasp grubs ? the colours and size seem ideal for Chub.
Tight lines Dave

Aquaerial
Chub

Re: Wasps as bait

Post by Aquaerial »

Dump the jarful in the river on a deep visible gravelly margin where the water is slack and see if they are there the following day..
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

JAA

Post by JAA »

Aquaerial wrote:Dump the jarful in the river on a deep visible gravelly margin where the water is slack...
...which some people think is as far as one needs to go... :Cool:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I've seen flies tied to imitate wasps!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

ThamesTrotter

Post by ThamesTrotter »

only tried 'em once. ok for hookbait but useless for loosefeeding. kept flying out of catty pouch!!

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

When you use wasp grub, the ground bait you make from the nest contains grubs, wasps, and part matured wasp grubs.
So the answer to your question is yes fish will eat them. Trout, chub and grayling love it

The problem you are going to have is any loose feed will float.
For feeding I would squash the wasps into some ground bait and bail it in before running the float down (give it half a hour).
When you make the ground bait (brown crumb) mix in a small amount of black treacle and brown sugar to sweeten it up this will imitate the sweetness of the wasp nest which is lacking
The naturals could be difficult keeping on the hook ?

I have seen fish take wasps from the surface dry fly
Also some fly anglers tie an imitation called the "Wasp"
http://www.garyborger.com/2013/08/06/fo ... some/wasp/

Let me know how you get on I am interested

MA

Goosequill
Dace

Post by Goosequill »

I remember fishing the town stretch of the Severn in Shrewsbury some years ago. There was a wasp nest in one of the bankside trees and the wasps were coming to the end of their existence such that they were dropping into the water. A constant flotilla of live, but exhausted jaspers trotted past me downstream to several large chub who were feasting on the blighters.
My hatred of wasps stopped me from fetching a few as bait but it's clear on that day the chub were enjoying the juicy jaspers!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

:shocked: I spend most of my life trying to keep as much space between me and them as possible!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends,I was given some wasp grubs when I was a teenager and I used them on the Cam ,that day I caught my best ever Roach and Dace just trotting off the bottom ,a good hook bait if you can get them Reelmaker

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

If you are bothered by wasps the best thing to do is keep still. Waving them away is the best way to induce the things to sting you.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”