Barbel fishing and Boilies

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Barbel fishing and Boilies

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Yes, it's a personal choice. I thought the world had gone mad when people started using 'golf balls' to catch fish, I could not bring myself to tie one on.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Boilies are a fine and fairly selective bait for bigger species. My only concern is the amount some anglers think they need to throw in as free offerings which can be ridiculous, especially considering they are full of fish attractants. I would have thought a few handfuls would suffice for a short session! Any thoughts chaps?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Surrey Martin
Roach

Post by Surrey Martin »

Guys. Thanks for the feedback but am I right in saying that they take over anf fish get per occupied on them avoiding other baits. I have always tried to fish as traditional as possible only because I enjoy it not because I want to appear self righteous ! Anyway it's good to hear other views and as mark said each to their own and my real problem is how can I catch barbel without using them cos nought else is working . Martin

Plot36
Roach

Post by Plot36 »

First catch your cat . . . :)

"And your paste must be thus made: take the flesh of a rabbit, or cat, cut small; and bean-flour; and if that may not be easily got, get other flour; and then, mix these together, and put to them either sugar, or honey, which I think better: and then beat these together in a mortar, or sometimes work them in your hands, your hands being very clean; and then make it into a ball, or two, or three, as you like best, for your use: but you must work or pound it so long in the mortar, as to make it so tough as to hang upon your hook without washing from it, yet not too hard: or, that you may the better keep it on your hook, you may knead with your paste a little, and not too much, white or yellowish wool.

And if you would have this paste keep all the year, for any other fish, then mix with it virgin-wax and clarified honey, and work them together with your hands, before the fire; then make these into balls, and they will keep all the year"

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Isaac Walton may have written a recipe on how to make them, and he probably used them, but I bet he didn't use kilos of them in attempting to catch a few barbel. The main problem is not with boilies it's the chaps that throw too many into rivers and don't realise they're polluting the water with all those chemicals.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Martin,

Use luncheon meat, it works. It's not the bait, it's the choice of swim and time of day that are critical.

Surrey Martin
Roach

Post by Surrey Martin »

Sofa surfer. Until very recently I would agree but 4 seasons fishing a stretch of Avon and no barbel on traditional baits ! Maybe you are right ref swim etc but fish coming out on bookies in same swims! Martin

Surrey Martin
Roach

Post by Surrey Martin »

Oops boilers not bookies ! M

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Surrey Martin

There are some baits that can 'lock down' a fishery by getting the fish preoccupied for a while, the best being maggots. But boilies? No. there are too many flavours and mixes for that to happen. Sure the fish can get used to picking up little flavoursome spheres but they will always take a well presented alternative be it natural or something else like bread.

Your problem may be that by using luncheon meat or corn the fish have become educated to the presentation. Should you cut meat into 1/6th to 1/4" cubes and fish it as a particle with 1, 2, 3 or 4 little cubes on a hook you may find that those cagey fish ares suddenly very catchable. Flavour that meat with any one of a hundred options and add some food colouring and suddenly its a 'new' bait and the fish roll in. I had some great days on green meat flavoured in various ways.

You have to be aware that we are at the time of year when popular waters have been fished by all and sundry and the fish have learned that the presence of anglers, the sound of lead/feeder hitting water, the lines in the water and the blatant offering of a 1.25" cube of meat all signal danger. Plus the river is low and they can see much more than you may give them credit for. Fish between recognised swims, think about presentation, do something different to the rest and most important, be there when the fish are feeding.

Good luck :Hat:

Surrey Martin
Roach

Post by Surrey Martin »

Dave . Thanks for your thoughts and maybe you are correct so I will have a re think . Thanks to all for your contributions . Cheers martin.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”