Garlic spam availability?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Stathamender
Tench

Garlic spam availability?

Post by Stathamender »

I see both Asda and Tesco have stopped selling this. Anyone know where it's available? There are also various garlic sausage meats that are available are they reliable substitutes? I suppose it would be possible to make up one's own using spam or sausage meat and the frozen cubes of garlic available from the Asian frozen foods section in places like Tesco or Morrison's. Incidentally those, and the frozen crushed ginger as well, are ideal for making curries.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Garlic spam availability?

Post by RBTraditional »

After a lean spell of a couple of months....I saw it it in Sainsbury this weekend.....bought ten cans just in case they decide to stop selling it again.......
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Tinned meat is relatively easy to flavour.

Simply cut as you would, place in a polythene bag, add whatever spices or liquids you wish to use, give everything a good shake and then freeze it.

Once frozen, thaw it out and freeze it again. The thawing process brings more flavour/taste into the bait.

Don't rely on artificial flavours alone, most are simply 'smells' and taste nothing like what they smell of.

Look along your spice rack at home or in the supermarket. Different spices turn on different species and it's fun learning, plus you can be sure your bait is probably different to what the fish have come across before particularly if you blend your spices to give out many differing signals.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

For garlic lovers everywhere I've picked up a tube of Garlic Puree which I use from time to time to spice up the flake and bread punch. Although you could smear it on anything including Spam.

The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Does the vegetable oil trap in the garlic aroma under water?

I have done quite a lot of experimenting with various garlic forms. Some appear much more water soluble (detectable by fish) than others. I always like to combine soluble and none soluble where possible in any bait. The soluble hopefully attracts, the none soluble remains behind for taste.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Hi Shaun.
Really I have no idea. But smearing it on punched bread after baiting the hook works well, although you could of course spread it on the slice before using the punch works well for quality roach from my local still water in conjunction with my old telescopic bamboo pole and the float dotted right down and fished just laying on the bottom.

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

A quick and simple way to see if taste is spreading through water is adding a little bit to a small bowl of water and then drinking a little water through a straw and see if it can be tasted.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Shaun.
The garlic puree does leave a oily residue on the surface after a while which I guess is the vegetable oil. So I would think the answer would be yes to your question.

Richard O
Silver Bream

Post by Richard O »

I picked up 2 tins of Garlic Spam in Sainsburys today, never tried it before, but will see how it goes.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Richard O wrote:I picked up 2 tins of Garlic Spam in Sainsburys today, never tried it before, but will see how it goes.
Bugger.....that's two I missed! :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”