Peperami in the winter

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Peperami in the winter

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I noticed that my local TESCO was selling off peperami so I bought some to use as fishing bait, with the hope of using it to catch carp or chub from a small farm pond I have never fished before.

Does anyone rate perperami as a bait and have you used it with success in winter?

The flavour I got was the hot type.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Peperami in the winter

Post by Kingfisher »

I've heard peperami is a good bait but it's one of those I've used myself before but not caught on.

The lack of bites lost my confidence in it.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I'd not use "The Rami" in winter as it's full of fat which tends to solidify in cold water.. so flavour leak off is minimised, also there's the fact that fish don't metabolise fats well in cold water conditions... It's a great summer bait but I'd steer clear in winter
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I used it extensively in both winter and summer. A great bait. Not sure about the metabolism issue. I had plenty of barbel and chub on it both in winter and summer. In fact it accounted for my PB barbel and carp and my 2nd best chub
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

MD I blitzed some up and added it to some Cheese paste caught good Chub and Barbel with it also added some to the ground bait for Tincas during the spring and also caught plenty. Circumstantial evidence I know but I do like to experiment
Bumble

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great for barbel and chub. If you don't throw in free offerings the low metabolism issues are circumvented. In summer use pieces about 15mm long. In winter use the same size but cut into discs so the scent comes out despite the cold. Best hair rigged!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Wifey loves it and is in Lidl as we speak. It's pretty hard out of the packet. I'd smash it up in the food chopper and add to a basic feed. I put some seriously stinky sprats in ten inches of water the other day, about a dozen. All gone. I'm hoping it was perch, but it could be eels or a heron, our dog nicked one whist I shouted at it not to.... :Hahaha: yer gotta laugh.

Strong flavours seem all the rage but a bit of bread flake still works enough for me when yer chilling like...
Last edited by Beryl on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have a real job trying to get it on the hook, I keep pricking the inside of my mouth! I am just the same with prawns and fresh loaves funny enough.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Reedling wrote:I have a real job trying to get it on the hook, I keep pricking the inside of my mouth! I am just the same with prawns and fresh loaves funny enough.
Haha! Yous got a 'one pack' like me I suspect. Lobworms will sort that QuickTime...

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I just nick pieces between 1 and 2cm directly on to the hook
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”