Turning up lobs

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Reedling
Catfish

Re: Turning up lobs

Post by Reedling »

One other thing you could try if you are near the country, go to any stables and ask them if you can have a dig into the muck pile. You probably will not get many Lobs unless you are on the ground but the manure always holds a good supply. Look for an old pile rather than a fresh one if you can.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Robbi wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:
Robbi wrote:
SofaSurfer wrote:Mix a little Fairy Liquid in a 2 gallon bucket of water and spread it over a square metre of lawn. Wait 10 minutes, pick them up. They will need rinsing.
+ 1...spot on, it never fails to work :)
It does send the grass yellow though, best done out of the way. I remember getting into trouble in my first job not long out of school for deciding to collect some worms in my lunch break from the works garden. Looked a bit of a mess I must admit.
weird, I've never seen the grass go yellow in 35 years of collecting worms like that. :Confused:
We must have different Fairy Liquid on the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border. Or perhaps just over generous with the amounts used. Or perhaps they changed the formula as I haven't done the washing up liquid trick again since getting into so much trouble at work which would have been 1980'ish which coincides just about when you first started to do it. :tea:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Only a tiny amount of Fairy Liquid is needed, my grass never went yellow. You can also use Potassium Permanganate. I think any irritant will have the desired effect. If the solution is too concentrated it will probably kill the worms as well as the grass!

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

If you can find old neglected piles of manure with stingers growing on them, they are the best Firebird. Good luck.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Horse manure it too acidic (I think) for lobs who prefer leaf compost in soil unlike brandlings(?) that are banded and give an horrible pong and are yellow inside! Never had much success with them.

""Brandling:- a red earthworm with rings of a brighter colour, typically found in manure, and used as bait by anglers and in composting kitchen waste.""

An aquarium is good for lobs but don't let it get too wet or the worms will die.

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

From your local tackle shop.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”