Hempseed and tares...

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Hempseed and tares...

Post by Santiago »

If you don't want to cook it and don't want to put it on the hook you can use ground hemp and just add it to brown crumb. Ground hemp comes in bags like ground bait.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Hempseed pellets, hempseed oil, hempseed crushed/ground - I have used them all. I think that it is the smell, rather than or in addition to, the actual seeds that works.

All seed/nuts should be cooked to prevent germination either on the bank -- or in the fish, although unlikely, cooking helps digestion.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I used to get the Hemp to a simmer in the Saucepan and then keep checking it till the outside split open and you could see a little white line where the insides started showing. I would then let it cool down but keep it damp/wet for fishing with.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Thanks for the replies. I threw some into boiling water today. After simmering for forty-five it was soft enough to be crushed between fingers. Will also be trying to turn it to powder too. I'm very much the novice. Been using bread crumb as a base then. Chopped sprats, dead maggots, sweet corn and now hemp as attractors. The idea being to pull baitfish in with the big perch to follow and keep them there. After nine days of this regime of two loaves a day I am beginning to think I need a plan B. But that's another post....

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Small livelies! 2-4in silver fish are good, couple of them at a time seems to get fish, both perch & pike, hunting.
Did that last weekend and had a couple of small pike about 7-8lb each.
Have done that in the past for perch and been very successful, not monsters but 2-3lb perch, and plenty off them.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Santiago wrote:Put them in a an old flask and fill it with boiling water. Put the lid on and leave overnight. In the morning you'll have cooked it to perfection.
Simple and effective and with less domestic issues this method has worked for me for years. There are boys up here that only ever fish hemp, tares, punch & flake and they are a sheer pleasure to watch on moving water. They certainly will sort out the better Roach this way.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

It is essential to boil all dried seeds, beans and peas. Below are my personal times.
Also, a lot of hemp (and other seed baits) float if not cooked.

Particle Pre-Soak Boil and simmer

Standard Hemp Seed over night Until it Splits
Big Hemp over night Until it Splits
Tares over night 20 minutes
Wheat over night 15 minutes
Mixed Seed Aniseed over night 20 minutes
Mixed Seed Standard over night 20 minutes
Garlic Feast 24 hours 30 minutes
Dark Seed Mix over night 20 minutes
Mini Tiger Nuts 24 hours 30 minutes
Standard Tiger Nuts 24 hours 30 minutes
Jumbo Tiger Nuts 24 hours 30 minutes
Maize 24 hours 30 minutes
Groats not necessary 5 minutes
Black Eyed Beans over night 25 minutes
Pinto Beans over night 25 minutes
Chick Peas overnight 25 minutes
Maple Peas over night 20 minutes

Sorry, this was in columns but has been closed together once the submit button was pressed.

The three column headings were Particle Pre-Soak Boil and simmer. You should still be able to follow it.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Hemp has to be one of my classic, fishing feed baits. I don't like it on the hook so much as I find it difficult to hit bites. As a feed, you can't beat it for Chub, Tench, Carp and quality Roach. Now, I prefer to use Tares on the hook as I feel more confident the bait has not come off and I find it more easy to hit the bites. For me I like to feed hemp any time of year but usually use it on the hook during the summertime. I only ever use Tares on the hook not as feed. Not forgetting hemp and caster. One of my all time favourite feed and hookbait combination.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

ExeAngler wrote:Hemp has to be one of my classic, fishing feed baits. I don't like it on the hook so much as I find it difficult to hit bites. As a feed, you can't beat it for Chub, Tench, Carp and quality Roach. Now, I prefer to use Tares on the hook as I feel more confident the bait has not come off and I find it more easy to hit the bites. For me I like to feed hemp any time of year but usually use it on the hook during the summertime. I only ever use Tares on the hook not as feed. Not forgetting hemp and caster. One of my all time favourite feed and hookbait combination.
Hi exe,
How do you prepare the Tares? They are a more manageable size for sure...

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I boil a handful of tares with the hemp. About 40 minutes until the hemp starts to split, and then leave the pan lid on until cool.

Nobody's mentioned fake hemp yet. I can highly recommend it and is perfect on the hook when feeding in loose hemp.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”