Traditional bait with a twist

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Traditional bait with a twist

Post by Bobthefloat »

After renouncing my modern fishing tackle I decided I was going to do away with complicated amd modern baits as well and go back to traditional baits which have always caught me fish in the past. The 3 main baits I chose were bread /sweetcorn /spam. As I'm only fishing one rod now I didn't know which one to use first so I thought I'd combine all 3 I liquidised half a loaf of brown bread and a whole can of corn and grated a tin of meat in the mixture and mixed well. I put all this into a large freezer bag and press down to the shape of the bag and about 1cm thick so it resembled a pizza. I done this for 2 reasons one because I was bored and it looked good and 2 once it was frozen it fitted nicely in my bag and thawed out alot quicker than a big ball off paste would and would be usable by time I got to the lake. The results have been fantastic the bait is lovely to freeline and soft enough to completely incase the hook as you can strike through it. Next time you've got a bit of time make a pizza and give it a go! good luck for this coming season tight lines guys :fishing1:
Edit : I've been adding garlic powder to effect on the river!
Last edited by Bobthefloat on Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Dendrobaena
Silver Bream

Re: traditional bait with a twist

Post by Dendrobaena »

Thanks Bob, i think i will give that a try. It sounds like it could be a very good crucian bait. A friend of mine absolutely swears buy bread, if it worked in the past there is no reason for it not to work now.

Denrobaena
"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

That's going to be my new favourite dish ...

I'm also only using traditional baits like sweetcorn, bread and lobworm and fish love it. Haven't really thought about combining them though. It sounds like a good idea!

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Sounds good.
Bread is my favorite bait for tench but think I will give your mix a go.
Are you loose feeding with the same?

MA

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Yes I loose feed different size balls so I can go to a smaller or bigger hook depending on what species are in front of me. A small piece float fished on 14 or 12 is ideal for crucians and tench and a big piece freelined on a size 6 for will cast a good few rod lengths. Hope this helps tight lines!

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Thanks bob the float

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

When we were kids we used to spend much of our summer holiday over the cow pond fishing and it was close enough for us to go home for lunch if we wanted, taking turns to watch over tackle. I vividly remember a day when one of the gang had to go home for some reason, maybe a holiday haircut or for some food. Anyway, he left his rod out and we promised to keep an eye out.

We decided to play a prank and did just what you did! We mixed up some bread, sweetcorn and gawd knows what else and made a ball of paste about the size of a fist. We buried his hook in it and hand threw it into the swim. The joke being the look on his face when he comes back and reels in this rock solid lump of bait big enough to tempt Clarissa.

Of course when he got back and reeled in the bait was gone and in its place was the best fish of the holiday - a 3lb tench! He never ever believed us when we told him what we'd done and how we had caught that fish for him!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

What a great story! Just out of interest did you try the method out again after your surprise tench?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

BobTheFloat wrote:What a great story! Just out of interest did you try the method out again after your surprise tench?
Funny enough we didn't but not long after we did get all adventurous and used Black Magic, Protimix and trout pellet paste, catching lots of tench in the process.

Here is a scene from the cow pond, how great is that to see so many kids fishing. A bit different nowadays I would guess.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

These combination baits can be very effective and I intend to give your mix a good try. It should attract a lot of different species. Thanks for sharing with us.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”