Slugs

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Slugs

Post by Rutland Rod »

Given the vast quantities of slugs and in sizes small to huge what's your experience of using them, I've had Chub on them but am tempted to collect a large amount and have a crack for whatever comes along in a farm pool post 16th June
Tight lines
Dave

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Slugs

Post by Tengisgol »

I've only ever use them for chub but what a great bait. Perfect for free lining on a clear river given the casting weight they provide. Hate handling them and if I was ever to use them again I would probably make a pair of long nosed pliers as was used by a Walker etc. where they covered the ends in sandpaper. This would be to pick up and grip them without getting slimed.

I've seen chub dash right across the Lea to intercept a slug.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've never used them in still water but there is no reason that fish wouldn't eat them. However, I have heard that in lakes you are likely to retrieve your bait with the end nipped off and the contents sucked out without so much as a dither on the float.

That said, we are allegedly heading for a slug summer. the conditions have been perfect for a bumper crop of the slimy little devils so if you want to try heavy baiting this is the year to do it.

And cover your strawberries.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I love fishing slugs freelined for chub but I think snails, crushed and then hooked are as good or even better.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

Rutland Rod wrote:Given the vast quantities of slugs and in sizes small to huge what's your experience of using them, I've had Chub on them but am tempted to collect a large amount and have a crack for whatever comes along in a farm pool post 16th June
Tight lines
Dave
If you are having trouble finding enough for that large amount you need you are most welcome to come around to my garden and collect some there. :Beg:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Having sat biteless for hours, I lowered a slug I'd picked up in some bank side foliage in next to some lily pads.
Seconds later, before the float had settled I was hanging on as my biggest carp steamed off.

That instant reaction on what looked like being a tough day convinced me!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

No need to search for slugs on the Wye, just use old hemp and sit on the grassy bank ....

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Call me soft but I can't bring myself to put one on the hook, think it's the eyes. :surrender:

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

At one spot where I used to fish for big roach after dark with bread, I sat on the bank with a slice of bread at my side. Often when I reach for the bread to re-bait my hook I found that I had got hold of a big black slug that was tucking into the bread.

I do remember throwing some big black slugs to a large brown trout in Driffield Beck. The trout swam around chewing on the slug as if eating a sticky toffee.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I remember someone (I think it was Jim Gibbinson) on "The Great Rod Race" saying that the only thing worse that hooking a slug was taking the bits off the hook after a chub had eaten it!

Several years ago I used to make soft-plastic slugs and wish I'd kept some for myself, I know they worked but I just wasn't chub fishing back then :doh:

Here's a rather rubbish picture of them, I still have the molds so perhaps I might knock a couple up again......

'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”