Slugs

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Re: Slugs

Post by Chris Bettis »

Never used them for anything else but Chub - no need for touch ledgering or any thing else, just hang on to the rod or else have it dragged in. I took RWs advice and used sugar tongs for handling them. Even I did not miss fish on the strike when using a slug as a bait!

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Now here's a thought, I wonder if the crays leave the humble slug alone, I do hope so !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I`d rate slugs, especially the large black variety at 4"plus, as one of the best chub baits going, though I`ve also had some cracking carp. Ok,they may not be everyone's cup of tea, some being a tad delicate when it comes to handling them, but you'll gets used to it....
Also one couldn't do better, than read some of the late great Charles Landells writing on slugs. He was the Chairman 1978-1999 and President 2000-2010 of the Chub Study Group, and the last of the National Specimen Chub Group, before the Chub Study Group was formed in 1972. He`d written on breeding,storing, feeding and I seem to recall, reading somewhere even dyeing them. He was a proverbial mine of information with regards to slugs & chubs...

I couldn't agree more Snape.... Using crushed Snails, well its a bit like a squashed slug, is also a superb bait, OK again not for the faint hearted....

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I met Charlie a few times when we were both Development Officers for the old National Anglers Council,which was a part time job.I covered the North West and I think he covered the London area.Though his police connections he got to fish in some lovely waters.He invited me to join him for a day but we never managed to do any fishing together.He once,on training weekend gave us a talk on setting all your angling expenses against tax.If only I could do that now! What a character.
Mark Davies

Ouse Wanderer
Bleak

Post by Ouse Wanderer »

I also met Charlie Landells through my work with the London Region of the National Association of Specimen Anglers. I don't know wether he wrote about this but I can remember him saying that, after constant handling of his slugs ( he bred and kept them in an aquarium ), he developed a condition that ate his fingernails! Try explaining that to your G.P.. Anybody else know anthing about this?

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Paul D wrote:Call me soft but I can't bring myself to put one on the hook, think it's the eyes. :surrender:
I cannot bring myself to use any sort of livebait anymore - not even maggots - certainly not worms - yet strangely I am OK with luncheon meat or prawns from the supermarket. Reckon I must be one of the 'soft' brigade. I met Lucky Luca at the gates to a fishery a couple of weeks back and noted a slug making his way across the road close to the wheels of the Lucky Luca van. I took a break from our conversation to pick up the slug and put him on the grass safe from being squashed.

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Wagtail wrote:I remember someone (I think it was Jim Gibbinson) on "The Great Rod Race" saying that the only thing worse that hooking a slug was taking the bits off the hook after a chub had eaten it!

Several years ago I used to make soft-plastic slugs and wish I'd kept some for myself, I know they worked but I just wasn't chub fishing back then :doh:

Here's a rather rubbish picture of them, I still have the molds so perhaps I might knock a couple up again......

they look like dried prunes. might be an alternative :)

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

I must admit to having tried slugs for carp but have failed so far to get a bite. I may have another go this summer.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Try a black jelly baby :whistle:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I have to read the book again but I think there is a hole chapter on slugs in Miles´"My way with chub". If I am right it must be a good bait. I´ll have a look and let you know. Best, Bobby

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”