Chris Yates bread paste

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Chris Yates bread paste

Post by Match Aerial »

Hi TFF members
I rushed out to buy a copy of anglers mail this week (something I never do) just so I could read Chris Yates words of wisdom. The Bread paste part was interesting and how he changes the flavourings to hopefully keep catching on this bait.
Just wondered how many do a similar thing with bread paste and if you don't mind sharing your lists of Ingredients?.
I thought it was a refreshing change from the boilie nonsense we read week after week in the press, some good old back to basics stuff.
Anyone else read it ?

MA

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Chris Yates bread paste

Post by Olly »

Boilies or bread paste. Flavourings have always been used! Izaak Walton specifically mention some - many anglers both past & present believe in them --- but which work and what potion in a bottle catches anglers and not fish?

My step-daughter when at middle school I think dyed bread to see what humans eat or reject. Fish could do the same on a simpler basis.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

I also bought a copy of the Anglers Mail just to read Chris Yates article, which turned out to be much as I had expected. The need for a quiet approach etc is, of course nothing new but it it something that so many of us tend to forget from time to time. His piece on baits was interesting and the reminder that simple tactics work and that there is no need for complicated rigs and long casting etc etc was so true. His love of Float fishing is well known and by the number of Floats produced by TFF members seems to indicate that a lot of us agree with him there. The whole article is well worth keeping and reading again and again from time to time just to make sure that we do not get caught up with modern methods in particular when Carp are the quarry.Just for once the Anglers Mail was worth buying!

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

"Just for once the Anglers Mail was worth buying!"
I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I did buy it, so the spreading word worked.
Here he mentioned approaching the water like a heron; elsewhere I believe he has talked about walking like a chicken, and I WAS SORRY TO SEE NO MENTION OF THIS IN THE mAIL.
(Drat caps lock - why is there no "drag,-highlight-and-click facility" to reverse this? Or have I missed it?)
One morning, at work, I was walking along when I became aware of a steady bang-bang-bang sound.
The college "had the builders in" at the time, and they were driving around on the roof in mini-diggers and using pneumatic drills to remove an extra layer of concrete they'd poured by mistake, so I was wearing earplugs, but this banging cut through all that.
You've probably guessed.
I stopped to take our my earplugs and try to figure out what the sound was; it stopped too, but as soon as I replaced the plugs and walked on, it resumed. It couldn't be the pugs, they were passive foam; it was my feet landing heel-first.
Walking so the foot lands toes-first, as a chicken does, reduced the vibrations enormously. It made me look like a "keep on truckin'" type from a Robert Crumb cartoon, but it would enable me to approach the water without a mini seismic event heralding my arrival.

Only a fish ( or a person with a hydrophone) could tell us what a heavily-laden trolley trundling along a gravel path sounds like to a fish, but I'd wager it doesn't go unnoticed.

Anyhow, well done, the Mail; let's see if their bold foray into the world of watercraft bears fruit.

Whoops, getting back on topic - I suspect bread, in all its forms, works because fish like the taste of bread, so I'd advocate trying it plain, first.
If you put a bit of bread in a bit of ware, decant of the water and taste it, it will carry quite a strong flavour - and how tasty it is varies from brand to brand. Going way back, I was prompted to try this because I could catch on "Mothers Pride" but not on "Sunblest". I quickly stopped buying the latter, as bait or food.
P.S. Is it just me, or does the not-falling-off-the-hook power of paste improve if it's made the day before use and refrigerated overnight?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

There is no doubt that we were both doing "The chicken walk" at Watford back in February. . Then again that may have been the parrot (Remember that Vole) .... good article because it was CY and I kinda guess we all like the way he does it .. Bread paste. .. like all bread baits is very effective .. but I am a flake angler .. then again Vole makes a mean "Wet Bread" ...I know and I've caught a goer Roach on it ... question .. How does CY manage on a rucksack seat with those long heron legs (his not the seats) ..and not get back ache? I've got one and it's retired coz of back ache ..

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I propose a TFF get together to all learn the chicken walk - I'll video it and I reckon it's a shoe-in to go viral. :Sarcasm:

Flavours are always worth tinkering with but its a downhill run to insanity if you get too serious about such things. Colouring is also very important and often underrated. I used to colour meat which fooled wary barbel, even trout will take the same fly that spooked them if it's tied in a different colour.

Vole's comment about different bread makes and success or failure is interesting. I have found poor results on several brands but can't find good ol' Mother's Pride on the shelves any more. Anybody know a good make?

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

This for me, Dave...

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

If folk want to use bread as a bait with best results I can highly recommend LA Parker's book called 'Roach: How to Catch Them '. He delves into the subject of bread as an effective bait like no other fishing writer that I've read. For flake he recommends using a cottage loaf and soaking it over night, and then carefully scraping away the white from the crusts until only the crusts remain. Use the bottom crust for freebies with the white for groundbait, and the sides and top for hookbait. The crust with all the white removed is what he referred to as flake! Parker actually experimented with different types of bread in many different forms, and recorded his research. Particularly interesting is that he found that bead soaked overnight was a far better bait than fresh bread. And with his underwater telescope he observed roach were finicky when eating fresh bread yet devoured pre-soaked bread with real gusto. But he also wrote that to get the best from flake one has to trot and strike very differently from how one does with maggots as bait. And if you're interested then you can read how in his gem of a book.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Give my pizza bait a go I posted it up about a month ago on here under traditional bait with a twist its bread mixed with spam and corn it was printed in the same addition of the anglers mail as Mr yates's article in the tips section.
Me and a few of my angling buddy's have done really well on it! (I won some plastic baits very traditional :laugh1: )

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Interesting ideas Santiago. If I'm using crust for trotting or floater fishing, I put it in a plastic bag as it makes the crust softer and pliable. It holds the hook better and does not have those sharp, brittle edges of a fresh loaf. But roach feeding behaviour is always interesting. When the first Korda underwater film was released it was largely a yawn fest due to poor editing however, I couldn't help notice that the roach that gathered around the loose feed only fed on particles that had left the bottom and were floating several inches off the deck. The tench were likewise prone to ignore popped up baits and only took off the bottom. Food for thought there.

And thanks for that Luga00, I have to admit to mixed results on Warburton's but that's probably sue to my mixed talent.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”