Bait flavours and colouring

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
JerryC
Crucian Carp

Re: Bait flavours and colouring

Post by JerryC »

TonyPrior wrote:I have always seemed to remember (i.e. am not sure whether I was told it or dreamed it up) that aniseed is a very good flavouring for fishing baits. Anyone tried it or know the souurce?
It certainly was, also fennel - I believe that aniseed, obtained from the chemist, was banned in some match events in the 60's for being too successful.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

JerryC wrote:
TonyPrior wrote:I have always seemed to remember (i.e. am not sure whether I was told it or dreamed it up) that aniseed is a very good flavouring for fishing baits. Anyone tried it or know the souurce?
It certainly was, also fennel - I believe that aniseed, obtained from the chemist, was banned in some match events in the 60's for being too successful.

Gosh that takes me back :shocked:
Remember my father boiling Aniseed balls in water til they dissolved and using the water to add to groundbait and paste!
He said it had a similar effect on fish as catnip had on cats, and would give you an 'edge'.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

TonyPrior

Post by TonyPrior »

Well, that is good to know, thanks. I often fancy I smell a faint whiff of aniseed when out fishing - some bankside plants seem to have a faintly aniseedy aroma, and grayling and salmonids when just caught also seem to have that pleasant sweetish scent. Maybe there is a common strand to it all? I must pop some aniseed and fennel seeds into the wormery. Or take Pernod instead of whisky in the hip flask - give the fly a little drink before it goes for a swim?
Talking of which, some anglers swear by the wetting of the fly with human saliva before use - according to some, it has an attractant quality to fish. Perhaps not if one has been on the St Bruno, though.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Talking of aniseed, the pigeon conditioner I use as a particle mix smell strongly of it, and the carp seem to love it.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”