The price of Maggots

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Tizer
Chub

Re: The price of Maggots

Post by Tizer »

:Hat: To that shop,hope they do well

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Phil Arnott wrote:
Match Aerial wrote:If I remember correctly I think it was Hull Angling Centre

One interesting observation is that casters, at least when used on a river, generally produce a bigger stamp of fish. I have my theory why this happens. I wonder if anyone else has a theory?
I know from the fish I feed in an outside pond (koi carp Phil. If I feed them on maggots they will less than they do if I feed them on casters. I think it could simply be casters burst as they ingest and in turn fill a large fish up less than maggots by comparision. So fish should remain hungry for longer in your swim before vacating.

What's your views Mate ?

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

I can't imagine that when using maggots you get smaller fish in your swim than when using casters. I think the bigger fish have to be in the swim amongst the smaller fish but are just more wary of maggots than the smaller fish and are more likely to go for casters.

Fish will eat huge amounts of maggots. I once had some maggots I wanted rid off and fed them into a small stream. Soon I had about eight good size dace in the swim and after feeding them half a pint of maggots I gave up. They were obviously well on feed and as you know there are times when you have to be really sparing with loose feed but not that day.

I've rarely fed in more than two pints of maggots in a session but some successful matchmen talk about feeding in four pints.

Richie
Roach

Post by Richie »

Paid £2.50 per pint for my mine today .
The laughing Hyena he drives me crackers would he laugh so much if I cut off his knackers.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Some of the lads fishing the swale feed 8 pints of maggots chub fishing in a single session.
The weights can be impressive not uncommon for lads to catch a 100lb of chub from one swim.
Not for me 8 pints of maggots would do me for many fishing trips LOL

Zipper
Roach

Post by Zipper »

Being a 6 year old newbie I didn't realize I had got into such an expensive hobby lol. Must try to find a rubber lobworn tho!

Zipper
Roach

Post by Zipper »

I am 60, in case you though you had a child genius (typo)

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Zipper wrote:Being a 6 year old newbie I didn't realize I had got into such an expensive hobby lol. Must try to find a rubber lobworn tho!
Just type ... Soft Rubber Earth Worm ... into the search box of a certain internet auction site, Sir. £1.74 for 50, postage free, from a certain far eastern country.

(I prefer mine fresh, and scoured in fennel as Old Izzak suggests !)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Match Aerial wrote:Some of the lads fishing the swale feed 8 pints of maggots chub fishing in a single session.
The weights can be impressive not uncommon for lads to catch a 100lb of chub from one swim.
Not for me 8 pints of maggots would do me for many fishing trips LOL
:shocked: 8 pints! That woul do me most of a season.

Maggots are 'two fitty' around these parts although I don't buy them as much as I used to.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

N9nty
Roach

Post by N9nty »

Living as I do many miles from the nearest fishing shop I have not used them for years, they used be six (old) pence a pint I recall.

John
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”