Cheese paste in the summer

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: Cheese paste in the summer

Post by Match Aerial »

Firebird wrote:Someone once told me that processed cheese (the Dairylea stuff) worked well on the Thames on a hot sunny day when baits like hemp were catching nothing. I've never tried it. Has anyone?

Never tried it on the Thames Firebird but it works up north ok. I just spread it on bread to make a sandwich and tear a piece off and straight on a size 6 :Thumb:

MA

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

I have just discovered a new cheese in the supermarket. It is called mexicana and is laced with peppers and other hot things
Very smelly and catches all sorts of fish!!
Dave@ Hastings

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Never tried it but got to be worth a go.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Over the years I have found that using two different mixtures in the season helps as when using my winter mix from the fridge in the summer it quickly sweats in the heat. So last season I experimented with a powder mix. Instead of the usual grated mature cheddar and puff pastry worked together with a sprinkling of turmeric. For the summer its a compete powder recipe of Instant Mash, powdered cheese sauce mix, Semolina and Turmeric for colouring. Mixed together with hot water and a little olive oil. Easy on the hot water.

The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I tried that recipe but kept getting smashed up!

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Ha ha :laugh1:. Smashed up. Like it!!!!

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

A lad I used to know used to rave about catching a lot of Chub from the Tadpole Bridge area of the River Thames on Cheese. This was anytime of year, with Summer being just as good, in fact, I think he had more in Summer. That was just standard Cheddar, big hook, lead or freeline. He would mess around float fishing with the other rod. He was very chilled out in his angling but caught fish never the less.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”