Soft hookable floating dog biscuits

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Julian
Salmon

Soft hookable floating dog biscuits

Post by Julian »

Perhaps not a truly traditional bait but dog biscuits have been used widely for at least 50 years now.

I use Bakers 'meaty meals , soft meaty chunks, for small dogs' ( only in beef flavour now, they used to do chicken as well) . I usually put two on anumber 6 or number 8 wide gape hook.
The ones for adult dogs come in two flavours but they are too large ( about three times as big).

These are really good for surface fishing for carp but with only one flavour now available I' m concerned they may be phasing out the product.

Does anyone know any other variety of dog biscuits like these, ie soft and hookable straight from the box, and they must float??

I know you can use hard biscuits by hair-rigging, or bait-banding, or super glueing them, but I want to be able to put the bait on the hook in the conventional way.
Prior to these being available I used ( and still do occasionally ) Pedigree Original mixers, by soaking them first and leaving them in the fridge overnight- they are then hookable. However a few years ago the formula for these was changed and size reduced, making the consistency different , and the softness never seem right - ie too hard or fall off the hook because they are too soft.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Soft hookable floating dog biscuits

Post by Loop Erimder »

Get the bigger ones and cut them down.....that's what I do
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

I do hope that they are not discontinued, the Small Dog size in Beef flavour have been my surface bait since Barbacus introduced me to them by giving me a handful to try.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Loop Erimder wrote:Get the bigger ones and cut them down.....that's what I do
Bit of a lengthy job - typically I get through a box full of Bakers plus a smilar amount of Pedigree Original in one 6 to 8 hour session at this time of year.
So cutting up a whole box of Bakers larger biscuits each time I go will be my only option if they stop making the smaller ones.

However my concern is that they may stop selling the large ones as well, as they now have a range that includes a small amount of the 'soft meaty chunks' mixed in with mostly hard biscuits.
Last edited by Julian on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Chris Bettis wrote:I do hope that they are not discontinued, the Small Dog size in Beef flavour have been my surface bait since Barbacus introduced me to them by giving me a handful to try.
A few months ago I thought I had found an alternative - hi- life sell a packet that contains five different biscuits of various shapes and colours, four of which are soft and hookable- great- until I tried using them- they all sunk to the bottom instantly.

I' m sure there must be another source as about a year ago I was talking to an angler who had some supermarket brand soft hookable biscuits that were a variety of sizes and colours/ shapes which he used regularly.
But I cant remember which supermarket- think it was either Asda or Tescos own brands.

So I was hoping someone on here might use another brand.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

I have used Sonubaits 11mm floaters,soft hookable flavoured.

I have used hard dog biscuits, into a freezer bag a little boiling water shake bag, scalds biscuits,tip out water tip in a little flavour and put in fridge.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Kevin wrote:I have used Sonubaits 11mm floaters,soft hookable flavoured.

I have used hard dog biscuits, into a freezer bag a little boiling water shake bag, scalds biscuits,tip out water tip in a little flavour and put in fridge.
Thanks Kevin.
I'd forgotten about the sonubaits ones, have used them before but found them nowhere near as effective as Pedigree or Bakers.
They are also quite expensive.
As I said originally, I do use softened Pedigree original, but they are now a smaller and they are either too hard on the hook or fall off after being in the water for a minute or two.
I also recently tried Pedigree Vital biscuits which are a good size and irregular shape, and soften up well being very rubbery on the hook, but the fish dont seem to like them- maybe I should try them for longer until the fish get used to them.

AndyB
Dace

Post by AndyB »

Hi Julian,
I have just found this product by Hilife in my local Poundstretcher at £1.50 a kilo so thought at that price it was worth a shout. I have not tried them yet but on first inspection they float. They would be approx 14-15mm in size.

https://www.hilifepet.co.uk/dogs/petspa ... +beef+1kg/

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”