A meaty problem indeed

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Bjp
Chub

A meaty problem indeed

Post by Bjp »

Got out on the river finally today beautiful and did not see another person all morning,i blanked had a couple of tugs but did not connect anyway the problem.

i have some hot dog sausauges in the freezer glugged up but found out today that they float.

After reading a little online looks like my garlic smeared luncheon meat will do the same.

i tried to get round the issue by putting a shot near the hook but not happy anyone else have this problem if so any ideas of how to get round it

regards

bjp :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: a meaty problem indeed

Post by Dave Burr »

You could mix it into a paste with some bread or pastry mix (shop bought shortcrust is good), or fry the meat to remove some of the fat.

Having floating paste is not a new phenomenon, I once managed to make floating cheese paste and had to beg a couple slices of bread from a chap to make it sink. All I caught was an eel - not a great trip :Happy:

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Sliding on a chunk of Haribo sweet first then slide it back down to the hooked on meat should counteract the buoyancy.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Nothing wrong, pop it up. I'll have to buy some.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Use a slightly larger hook and wrap some lead wire around the shank

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

SofaSurfer wrote:Nothing wrong, pop it up. I'll have to buy some.
Totally agree, try it on a hair rig Bernie with a little shot (no 6) just behind the eye of the hook. :Hat:

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

did the shot thing yesterday but I guess the real problem was putting in some freebies, some fish 4 miles away probably had a good feed

regards

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

I use some German tinned meat thats known as Frühstücksfleisch (breakfast meat) as we often get sent it by my partners Grandma. One downside is whilst it similar to luncheon meat its much softer and sometimes floats....

I put some water in a bait box and then soak my meat cubes so then some of that fat should come out. Tinned hot dogs can often be quite soft so I usually mash them with some liquidised bread into a paste.

If you have an Eastern European shop near you, look out for a sausage meat that comes in a plastic sleeve its a very fine meat paste that you spread on bread. I used a German version called metwurst. I use a small meat punch, put a small piece of luncheon meat on my hook or hair then wrap a small blob of metwurst round to help the bait sink and give off a bit of a particle trail.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

You will probably find they will sink once the water warms up. They are floating because of the fats solidifying, thus trapping the attraction in so not a great cold water approach when you could be using a paste that will still leach a little flavour trail.

Bjp
Chub

Re: A meaty problem indeed

Post by Bjp »

Hi Shaun
bit of an old post this , it was in july this happened

regards

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”