Floating baits

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
LuckyLuca
Barbel

Floating baits

Post by LuckyLuca »

Things seem to be split between bread and dog biscuits, with Baxters Meaty chunks the favourite.
I'm firmly in the bread camp at the moment. It's cheap, convenient and works really well.

Which is you favourite and why?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Floating baits

Post by Mark »

Some waters I go to you will not catch with bread but bakers dog biscuits work fine and other waters can be the opposite. I tend to take both just in case the carp decide to change the rules.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Bread for me.
I use half a tin loaf to make sandwiches and use the other half for fishing. Lunch and bait for about a quid!
I have some Baker's dog biccies in the freezer, but I haven't used them for ages.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I do like a lump of bread, be it crust of a lump just pinched on by the eye/line. I always feel confident when using it and in the scum or dangled off a reed stem there are not many carp that will turn their nose up at it. When I had my Lurchers, terrier, ferrets and softbill birds they used to love eating Beta Field... the Carp loved it also and is the only dog biscuit I have used as a bait.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Large Sonus oily floaters for me as hook baits. Smaller ones of the same type or dog biscuits as freebies.

Bread is good anywhere where there are no waterbirds. Where birds are present then for me it is not an option.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Water Voles and Marsh Frogs like bread as well, where I fish. So if any chance of a problem I slow sink my lump of bread flake if I can or use another method altogether, you just cannot be too safe BB.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Chum mixer soaked in boiling water with dissolved Marmite. Nothing refuses it :-)

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”