Old style groundbait vs shop bought mix?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: Old style groundbait vs shop bought mix?

Post by BeechmereLake »

I have found with many ground baits its all about the way it works and why it works in a certain way, much of it is developed to catch the angler but some of the river ground baits are very essential for the rivers and the flowing water, dont get me wrong you can still go to a decent roach peg on the Thames and go the old mashed bread way of fishing or you can have fun catching a better stamp or bigger fish with a pint of caster and some hemp for about £6.00 but every now and then I like a ground bait that will give me 5 hours out of a peg and by simply mixing a couple of GB's together I can have a mix that depending on how its mixed will give you those 5 hours with no interruptions, first two balls in the swim can be made to react straight away to attract fish into the peg then simply by wetting another two or three with wet hands a skin can be put on the outside of these other balls so the water wont penetrate it causing it to break down after two or three hours of sitting in you peg, means you dont need to drop bait in the peg all the time you are fishing which could spook a shoal of fine fish.
Right now and over the last couple of years I have been using a manufactured ground bait or should I say stick mix, the results on still waters are very impressive to say the least and I have never blanked using this stuff even in the winter, so while some of the traditional baits are still good and cheap to use @ £4.95 a kilo I will stick with this bait for now and "fish it out" as we say. So far I have fished on 6 different waters and the results are all the same, I even take it to the waters edge now in a bucket to keep away from peering eyes :Hahaha:
Anyone still use trout pellet paste? this one will never die just like the old cheese paste. :Hat: Two great backups for any angler still or moving water, quite cheap to make too.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

N9nty
Roach

Re: Old style groundbait vs shop bought mix?

Post by N9nty »

I use sausage rusk (breadcrumbs) bought from my local butcher at five pounds for a carrier bag. I mix it with cat or dog pellets, bran, mashed bread etc, seems to work.

John
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”