A Different Grub Bait.

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Jon Math
Minnow

A Different Grub Bait.

Post by Jon Math »

Around this time of year most squash vines get attacked by “Squash Vine Borers”. The last few years I have let them go to town, because frankly you can only eat so many zucchini and summer squash and by now I’ve had my fill of them. When the plant is finally dead I cut the borers out and take them fishing. They are significant white grubs that, at least over here, the fish cannot seem to leave alone. They don’t have a skin tag like a maggot so hooking them requires threading them onto a fine wire hook as you would thread a worm. I typically fish them under a float.

I don’t know if these insects live in England, but if they do give them a go, you might be pleased with the results.
My type keeps showing up in the wrong places; usually clutching a severed head in one hand and a knife in the other…so it's not catch me if you can, it's catch me if you dare.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: A Different Grub Bait.

Post by Olly »

Just seen the size of them - chub/carp bait!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

They certainly look like great baits,

Jon Math
Minnow

Post by Jon Math »

The maggot, aside from anglers with a UK background, is virtually unknown as a bait here. They are a harvest or grow your own proposition.
The fish do bite on them but they kind have to be taught to take them; and pouring them in by the handful as a ground bait to get them going is not a method used here. I usually stat them on chopped worm and bread crumbs, maybe with a bit of dry milk powder mixed in, and once I get a head of fish milling around I’ll start offering the maggots or these big squash grubs on the hook.
My type keeps showing up in the wrong places; usually clutching a severed head in one hand and a knife in the other…so it's not catch me if you can, it's catch me if you dare.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”