Raptor Oil From Halibut Pellets

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Raptor Oil From Halibut Pellets

Post by Bobthefloat »

A freshly killed roach takes some beating

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

RBTraditional wrote:Well I've got news for you chaps....we've got at least six weeks of hot sunny weather to come to be followed by an extremely mild winter....so keep your shorts and pith helmets on!
Long may it continue I'm in no rush to get the pike rods out :Cool: :cheers:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Barbel also feed on lamprey - where lamprey run up the river! A French colleague catches barbel on jigs - which could be mistaken for elvers or lampern. A different way of catching barbel that I must try. Anglers have caught barbel on spinners and huge salmon flies so they could be classed as a predator in some way.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

I wonder, if raptor oil really makes much difference? I think if a pike is around and a dead bait is presented interesting enough, the pike will take it anyway. Especially when it's cold I wouldn't sit there waiting for some pike to come but roam around along the river a search for them.
But of course, I always want to learn something new. What is your experience, do you really catch more pike with oil treated baits?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I use pike oils on large pits 40ac + - a wind will take the smell a long way downwind and due to the undertow a long way upwind. The rods/tackle I use now is not cane and used to be Conoflex 3lb test rods with Mitchell 306 reels. So please ignore the tackle part. Just note the use of oils and how they can & do work extremely well..

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Olly wrote:I use pike oils on large pits 40ac + - a wind will take the smell a long way downwind and due to the undertow a long way upwind. The rods/tackle I use now is not cane and used to be Conoflex 3lb test rods with Mitchell 306 reels. So please ignore the tackle part. Just note the use of oils and how they can & do work extremely well..
I fish for pike only in my local river. Pike keep quite close to the bank there. Once you've found some bleak or roach a pike won't be far.
But maybe I should try some smelly oil and hopefully attract some zander, that are much harder to find.

Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Post by Das-Bolt »

So pellets are frowned upon by some as not being traditional but it's ok to inject Halibut oil into dead bait? I'm confused!

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

In my days with the National Anquilla Club, many years ago we experimented with injecting fish oils into our deadbaits.The most popular and the one which gave me most success was Pilchard Oil mixed with an emulsifier. The emulsifier breaks down the fat contents and enables the oil to dissipate along the bottom, otherwise the oil simply floats to the surface.
Mark Davies

Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Post by Das-Bolt »

Interesting. I've been using a few drops of fish sauce bought from an Asian supermarket which I suppose has the same effect, but Pilchard oil is certainly worth a try.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”