Raptor Oil From Halibut Pellets

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Raptor Oil From Halibut Pellets

Post by The Old Buffer »

With Summer in its last throes my thoughts are fast turning to pike fishing and I must admit that I am starting to look forward to the onset of colder weather.

I have heard that it is possible to produce raptor oil by rendering down halibut pellets. This is supposed to produce an oil that when injected into deadbait proves very effective at attracting pike.

The question is - how does one turn the hard pellet into an injectable oil?

I could experiment but SWMBO is already keeping a close eye on me following an unfortunate incident involving maggots running amok in the fridge. So if any of the forums resident chemists can point me in the right direction I would be much obliged. :Hat:
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Raptor Oil From Halibut Pellets

Post by Santiago »

Just buy pellet oil. I suspect it's the same thing.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Santiago wrote:Just buy pellet oil. I suspect it's the same thing.
Think your right Trevor, can you imagine the stink boiling up pellets. :Hat:

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

I must admit that pellet oil sounds a great deal simpler and probably no more expensive in the long run. I will give that a go.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I've committed myself to this winter banking my first pike, so like you, I too am looking forward to winter. Bring on the long Johns and big jumpers.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

There are a few winterised oils for injecting deadbaits on the market Google pro pike winterized oils they have a full range :Hat:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Well I've got news for you chaps....we've got at least six weeks of hot sunny weather to come to be followed by an extremely mild winter....so keep your shorts and pith helmets on!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Why Raptor oil? Pilchard, Mackerel, Squid, Herring, Smelt etc are good. In fact given the number of larger fish I have caught on Mackerel and mackerel flavoured coarse baits - I seldom use much else!

Lamprey - bloodier the better - can attract pike from a great distance. So can a swimfeeder full of bits of oiled fish bits work as well as injected baits.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Another trick is to melt vaseline and mix in about 1/3rd volume of fish oil. When set use as a smear to coat dead baits and terminal tackle. Also works well smeared on lures.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Olly wrote:Why Raptor oil? Pilchard, Mackerel, Squid, Herring, Smelt etc are good. In fact given the number of larger fish I have caught on Mackerel and mackerel flavoured coarse baits - I seldom use much else!

Lamprey - bloodier the better - can attract pike from a great distance. So can a swimfeeder full of bits of oiled fish bits work as well as injected baits.
I agree I've had some fantastic fish on lamprey also chub will take a small chunk.
As I'm sure would many other species

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”