Home made groundbait, layers mash/vitalin

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
BendSomeCane
Grayling

Re: Home made groundbait, layers mash/vitalin

Post by BendSomeCane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:16 am

I woukd agree with Firebird ... over the years ive tried most things to create that extra special something.
In my veiw if you understand what it should do against what anglers think it does when they chuck in a ball you woud be better trying yo get the mix right before it hits the water.

Too often anglers pay silly silly money for what it essentially cereal based mixes with bits of added crushed biscuit, sweeteners, salts or other flavours.
The trend to add fishmeal us not new but popular.

In the orginal post it mentioned layers mash ... I use it but riddle out the larger bits of maize. I also use sheep and cattle nuts which have different densities of cereals and a little molasses
These complement my mix which is always done the night before and riddled again to create air.
I do not put anything else in and as I am putting it in by hand the ball momentarily stays on the surface before falling down crumbling itself and when it hits the bottom there is virtually no ball left.

This creates the ground-bait on the bottom which is protein rich light and fluffy.

I find this is the key to better catches and understanding presentation of Ground-bait rather than a specific mix

Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Ian
Grayling

Post by Ian » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:55 am

i could write a 5,000 page book on the subject and it all boils down to one thing,learn about the fish you are trying to catch and don't over complicate things.ive fished for roach with the fanciest of groundbaits and I've fished for roach with brown crumb and a black currant t-bag put through it and both work really well,as long as it's sweet,that's a basis for roach.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:35 pm

I normally keep all my old bread and then grind it up. I've been using 80% crumb, mix it with water then at the last minute I add about 20% vitalin flakes in to get round the problem of it going gloopy. Seems to work great for carp, corn or wheat float fished over the top.

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:36 pm

Ian wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:55 am
i could write a 5,000 page book on the subject and it all boils down to one thing,learn about the fish you are trying to catch and don't over complicate things.ive fished for roach with the fanciest of groundbaits and I've fished for roach with brown crumb and a black currant t-bag put through it and both work really well,as long as it's sweet,that's a basis for roach.
Have a look on youtube for some of the recipes from the oldFrench match anglers. Some of them have turned it into an art form.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”