Cockles

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Re: Cockles

Post by Bobby Marlene »

How do you make them hold on the hook? Thanks, Bobby

JAA

Post by JAA »

Bobby Marlene wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:06 pm How do you make them hold on the hook? Thanks, Bobby
The 'foot' is as tough as old boots...

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

JAA wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:19 pm
Bobby Marlene wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:06 pm How do you make them hold on the hook? Thanks, Bobby
ooh, I did not know that. I had problems with other shellfish to hook it properly. So cockles next time. Thanks, Bobby

JAA

Post by JAA »

Bobby Marlene wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:32 pm
JAA wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:19 pm
ooh, I did not know that. I had problems with other shellfish to hook it properly. So cockles next time. Thanks, Bobby
Mussels are feeble (you're right) and hardish to hook, but cockles are fine! There is a 'soft bit' also, and sometimes smaller fish will nibble that off, but in general they're very easy to fish with.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

My brother and his partner have just started up a seafood stall so I can now get fresh bait every Friday. We had Whelks last night and a roll mop :drool: ...the fish will not see them I might add.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Fresh or frozen cockles, never pickled, as the vinegar puts fish off .... The same for mussels, I actually prefer frozen, I remove from freezer when leaving and box. When using, I like them slightly frozen so I can cast a distance without the mussel disintegrating on the hook. The only thing I`ve found, is that if the cockle/mussel/prawn is new to the water, it may take a while to be accepted, unless you've pre baited.....

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

I use the pickles ones with no problems...the little jars from Sainsburys/waitrose. They smell more fishy than of vinegar.

JAA

Post by JAA »

Slumption wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:41 am I use the pickles ones with no problems...the little jars from Sainsburys/waitrose. They smell more fishy than of vinegar.
I've done Ok with them, but I pour the liquid out, wash the contents a couple of time with lake water, then add a good dash of anchovy or fish sauce, refill with water and give them a good shake.

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

The other thing I use is princes tinned clams, little baby ones and they are in a fishy brine.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

JAA wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:43 am I've done Ok with them, but I pour the liquid out, wash the contents a couple of time with lake water, then add a good dash of anchovy or fish sauce, refill with water and give them a good shake.
A word of advice - if you do this, be sure to replace the top of the jar securely before you put the jar of 'refreshed' cockles into your bag along with all your other bait, in the heat of opening day... Don't ask, it wasn't a pretty sight (but it smelled rather nice, for a while) :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”