Flavouring Luncheon Meat

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: Flavouring Luncheon Meat

Post by Penninelad »

I make my luncheon meat up in batches,the most effective for me has been dry Mexican Cajun seasoning.I place it take away containers and freeze it.I take out the night before I am going fishing and re freeze it when I get home.I do this with bread,corn and various pastes and also freeze unused maggots to be used as feed.
Mark Davies

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Freezing, thawing, freezing, thawing several times helps impregnate the meat further. Archie who was mentioned above used to be doing it daily.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I have just ordered a copy of the book from Coch-y-Bonddu Books.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Archie dropped by for a chat whilst I was angling last Friday. He will be 80 on his next birthday and still as keen and enthusiastic as ever. I pity his mother when he was a child as he's still hyper active now!
He filled me in with his angling plans and aims this year. He still gets out 3 times a week and 4 times when the conditions are right.
He is certainly a character on the local front and knows the Trent better than anyone I know or am ever likely to know.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Mark wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:35 pm I have just ordered a copy of the book from Coch-y-Bonddu Books.
Mark, The amazing meat book, a small paperback by barbel angler Andy Orme is good, although quite scarce these days, it is all about fishing with and preparing meat baits, mainly for barbel & chub.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Paul F wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:20 pm
Mark wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:35 pm I have just ordered a copy of the book from Coch-y-Bonddu Books.
Mark, The amazing meat book, a small paperback by barbel angler Andy Orme is good, although quite scarce these days, it is all about fishing with and preparing meat baits, mainly for barbel & chub.
Thank you for the heads up Paul, I just managed to purchase a signed copy in very good condition. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Mark wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:01 pm
Thank you for the heads up Paul, I just managed to purchase a signed copy in very good condition. :Hat:
Well good Mark, incidentally Andy Ormes 1st book Barbel Mania is well underrated, although a little dated, it is still a must have for barbel enthusiasts

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Has anyone tried fishing two rods, one with flavoured meat and one with normal meat, to determine if flavours do actually make a difference? I'm not convinced, although I suspect there might be a difference which is dependent on water temperature!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Santiago wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:17 pm Has anyone tried fishing two rods, one with flavoured meat and one with normal meat, to determine if flavours do actually make a difference? I'm not convinced, although I suspect there might be a difference which is dependent on water temperature!
I tend to agree with you to a degree Trevor.
In the 1980's when rolling meat was all the rage Andy Orme speaks of over powerful flavoured meat becoming blown, he suggest none flavoured meats on pressured water.

It is know boilies become blown on pressured waters

For me I do flavour my meat when I am organised, sometimes I forget the meat and stop off and buy some, so use it plain, I also think it is a confidence thing too I catch more on flavoured, if I fail on plain I use not flavouring as an excuse!

I am on the Wye this week, I am happy rolling bacon grill from the tin, as nobody else does it, they are all on their pellet feeders.

Shh don't tell anyone, but the older traditional methods work again now :Wink:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Paul F wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:25 pm
Mark wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:01 pm
Well good Mark, incidentally Andy Ormes 1st book Barbel Mania is well underrated, although a little dated, it is still a must have for barbel enthusiasts
I already have Barbel Mania Paul but I have not had the chance to read it through properly as yet.
Mark (Administrator)

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”