My First Attempt at Flavouring Luncheon Meat

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Macko
Grayling

Re: My First Attempt at Flavouring Luncheon Meat

Post by Macko »

Mark, give Paprika and Cayenne pepper mixed a try, caught lots of barbel with it.
Back in the eighties cubed meat struggled on a stretch of the Kennet I fished, so I bought
an apple corer ( still have and use) and caught loads of chub and barbel,then the others
who I fished with finally cottoned on, and their catches increased.

ATB Macko
Last edited by Macko on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Macko wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:52 am Mark, give Paprika and Cayenne pepper mixed a try, caught lots of barbel with it.
Back in the eighties cubed meat struggled on a stretch of the Kennet I fished, so I bought
an apple corer ( still have and use) and caught loads of chub and barbel,then the others
who I fished with finally cottened on, and their catches increased.

ATB Macko
Will give it a try Macko. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

I chop a tin in half, cut the meat into roughly 5mm cubes then pop them into a small pop seal bag.

I mix about a table spoon of boiling water with a desert spoon or so of angel delight to make a sticky liquid, this goes into the bag, seal up and shake. I then drain most of the fluid off once the meat is coated. I then add a heaped table spoon of my dry groundait, a little bit of powdered red dye and thens shake and leave over night. I use Van Den Eyde bream additive or super crack so it makes for a sweet meat, I've had loads of bream/rudd on this.

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

Mark two questions first any update have you tried it yet and two, after freezing meat baits myself last year you may remember i had the problem of the baits not sinking, after checking on the internet many said that many meat baits will float after freezing an issue if you intend to throw a few hook samples in as attraction, my question is did you find that to be the case or do your baits sink

regards

bjp :Hat:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Bjp wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:40 pm Mark two questions first any update have you tried it yet and two, after freezing meat baits myself last year you may remember i had the problem of the baits not sinking, after checking on the internet many said that many meat baits will float after freezing an issue if you intend to throw a few hook samples in as attraction, my question is did you find that to be the case or do your baits sink

regards

bjp :Hat:
Tried it once but have been concentrating on my paste baits so never even got to the freezer stage.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I often freeze and reuse luncheon meat baits and not had floating issues, I have caught on the defrosted baits too :Hat:

Tacush
Stickleback

Post by Tacush »

RBTraditional wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:19 am I use smoked hot paprika powder and it certainly works for me. I tear the meat up in to chunks as I prefer random shapes, sprinkle the powder on in the bag, freeze and I then have a really good bait which has served me well for years.
Thanks RBT, I was just wondering what flavour to try as I'm fishing a quite low stocked Carp water that gets attacked by usual boilie/beeper boys. My thoughts were to try smoked Paprika and i'll now give it a try. i know it's an old post but tight lines :)

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

Not used meat for a long,long time but a tested method,particularly in over used waters was to dice it all up and throw into a pan with hot oil,spoonful of curry powder and an oxo cube cooking for 5 minutes,turning over so all sides were coated.Fish loved it and so did I.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

A quick way of adding extra flavour/colour to Meat is to tip some ground bait over it in a bait box. If I am fishing for Bream Skimmers I tend to use some fishmeal type Groundbait. Put the lid back on and shake the bait box. Works well if you do not have much time.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I must admit that I have always been sceptical about adding "foreign" flavours and smells to baits, thinking that in the case of Spam, it is and always has been good enough as is, straight from the tin.
However, on a recent Wye trip, Pallenpool appeared with a bag of very spicy flavoured Spam he had prepared at home, it actually smelt too good to use as bait .I was, as said sceptical about its appeal, but after he gave me a masterclass on Chub fishing using said marinaded Spam, and Wallace casting ,I am now a changed person , at least as far as Spam is concerned.

I bit the bullet and did a bit of gentle frying of the Spam in oil, with several "sprinkles" of various flavours as recommended by the above Chub Guru.

In short, it works for Barbel as well as Chub.

Many thanks Peter :Hat:

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”