Paste Bait Experiments

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Paste Bait Experiments

Post by Mark »

This season I want to experiment with paste bait, I am quite happy and confident using my cheese paste and bread paste but want to add a few more to my armoury.

During the week I ground some halibut pellets down and mixed them with an egg, it all looked perfect and the consistency was perfect, that was until I tried to use it the next day. I took it out of the bag and it was still in a ball but when I tried to pinch a piece off it just crumbled. The first batch I added crushed help and the second batch was without the hemp but both attempts failed.

I have just ordered myself some paste ingredients from Haiths Baits so hopefully I may come up with something I could possibly use. :shocked:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Paste Bait Experiments

Post by Old Man River »

Add some raw egg, its a bit gooey until you get the consistency right, but it does work, eventually.Its exactly how I make it, add a drop or two of cod liver oil, rape seed oil or similar as well ( forgot that, had to edit the post )
Then, if you are brave you can roll it inot little marbles, pop them into boiling water and after a couple of mins or less you have what what the Carpologists call Boilies !

I would just use the paste myself, boilies pong the house out.

O M R
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Same smell from both!

Buy the salmon crumb or pellet crumb. Put the raw egg into the bowl add a little powder at a time until the mixture is stiff. Forgot - add the oil(s) to the egg first! Pastes are essentially a boilie mix - not boiled.

I have the book "baits and groundbaits" by Faddist pub 1952 which deals with paste making in the 50's,very enlightening considering it's age.

Geoff Kemp's - Kempastini's Book of Baits - from the 60's/70's shows how to - with lots of base mixes suitable for paste.

I have used chopped baits - unboiled but through a boilie gun then - chopped into pieces about 1/2 in long.

Send me a PM if needed.

Tinca
Stickleback

Post by Tinca »

Had some success this season mixing plain old bread flour 50/50 with some sieved fish meal groundbait and adding water to which a small amount of Hutchies Hawaiian Compound had been added. A large lump fished on shottless float tackle usually results in lovely confident sail-away bites.
Tinca
There is not any exercise more pleasing or more agreeable.....than this of Angling. (Arthur Sharp)

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Most of the modern groundbaits can be turned into a paste by adding eggs to the dry bait.. the finer the groundbait the smoother the paste..
you can enhance any of your chosen mixes with any of the myriad flavours on the market... there are sooooo many possible combinations... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

My favoured method uses a food processor, usually involves bread as a base
followed by a bit of cheese, finishing with water to bind. It saves a lot of
muscle ache and moves away from the boilie aspect of eggs.
A visit to a car boot usually/occasionally provides for a special machine if
there are household objections to some specific ingredients .
The bonus is a bait can be constructed at very short notice without requiring
extra visits to shops of any variety. Most can be stored in the freezer for
instant transfer into the tacklebag too.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Hi Mark give this one a try I'm not sure how to put a link up but it's post from a while ago I put up its served me well and also won me a prize in the anglers mail (The prize was a box of plastic baits very traditional lol)
TRADITIONAL BAIT WITH A TWIST
After off loading all my matching 3 rod set up and all the gismos and buying some nice traditional cane rods reels and handmade floats I decided I was going to do away with complicated baits aswell and go back to traditional baits which have always caught me fish in the past. The 3 main baits I chose were bread /sweetcorn /spam. As I'm only fishing one rod now I didn't know which one to use first so I thought I'd combine all 3 I liquidised half a loaf of bread (stale) and a whole can of corn and grated a tin of meat in the mixture and mixed well. I then pressed it out to the shape of the bag and about 1cm thick so it resembled a pizza. I done this for 2 reasons one because I was bored and it looked good and 2 once it was frozen it fitted nicely in my bag and thawed out alot quicker than a big ball of paste would and would be usable by time I got to the lake. The results have been fantastic the bait is lovely to freeline and soft enough to completely incase the hook as you can strike through it. Next time you've got a bit of time make a pizza and give it a go! good luck for this coming season tight lines guys :fishing1:
Last edited by Bobthefloat on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

i used some pellets sold by my local tackle shop soaked them in boiling water then added source groundbait which i had handy made it into a lovely workable paste then put a few balls in the freezer.

i used some during the TFF meeting the other month at the farm res' in sussex the carp seemed to like it.

regards

bjp :Hat:
Last edited by Bjp on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Come on chaps, stop with the recipes. Poor Mark is new to this and as he comes to terms with the magnitude of permutations, his head is almost at the point of exploding.

Mind you, Bob's tri-mix pizza looks pretty useful.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I always found in interesting that in the old angling books there seems to be a consentious that yellow paste is effective and I have to admit that I've not given it a trial. Anybody have any experience of yellow paste?

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”