"It Looks Like Someone Likes Sweetcorn" - OR - Stocking Up On Bait

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

"It Looks Like Someone Likes Sweetcorn" - OR - Stocking Up On Bait

Post by MaggotDrowner »

"It looks like someone likes sweetcorn!" said the checkout girl.

I go to the supermarket and stock up on baits that are easy to store and keep well to save on time and money. And being able to grab bait from the shed and go fishing without having to make a trip to the shops is very convenient.

I have just been to Aldi and Lidl where I bought:
10 x 900g bags of frozen sweetcorn (which is 80 ish pence compared to the co-ops stuff which is £1.50)
4 x 300g tins of sweetcorn
8 x 300g tins of chopped ham and pork (which I actually prefer to spam and is almost half the price)

I also keep boilies, pellets and prawns ready to go.

I was wondering what baits TFF members like to have in stock for impromptu fishing sessions?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: "It Looks Like Someone Likes Sweetcorn" - OR - Stocking Up On Bait

Post by Loop Erimder »

Me bait freezer has an array of many...... meat paste, sausage paste, cheese paste, prawns, duck hearts and gizzard, fresh bread crumb made at work and in vac pac bags, hemp. Bait cupboard has sweetcorn, spam, dried crumb, pellets, soft dog biscuits, boilies, pastes, popups.....plenty of worms in the garden. ....
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I'm not quite on your level. But each supermarket visit has an extra sweet corn and bacon grill tin added.
I do like the mini tins of corn that Aldi and Lidl sell. Just the right size for me.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've got no duck hearts or gizzards but plenty of boilies in various sizes which, along with a few pellets, seems to cover most of my fishing. Of course there is corn and meat but with an impoverished son that visits my bait store regularly, I am probably due a stock take.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I always have a few packs of Tesco value type frozen Prawns in the freezer and a loaf or half of thick sliced soft white bread.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

I always have a supply of corn,hemp and brown crumb.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Reedling wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:14 am I always have a few packs of Tesco value type frozen Prawns in the freezer and a loaf or half of thick sliced soft white bread.
I used to stock up on these. Unfortunately at the moment my local Tesco's don't have these but the next ones up which are £3 a packet rather than the value ones.

I now tend to buy a single bag when needed rather than stock up in case the value prawns re-appear.

I don't know if this is a marketing ploy or the price of prawns has shot through the roof. Bag design is different as well. :Confused:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I work for a large tackle shop so bait and it's storage is never a problem for me. I do however have a long standing joke with my wife whilst supermarket shopping, in that I always "need a couple of cans of sweetcorn"..I have accrued quite a stash now..but constant use and topping up maintains a perfect balance.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Northern_Nomad wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:59 pm
Reedling wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:14 am I always have a few packs of Tesco value type frozen Prawns in the freezer and a loaf or half of thick sliced soft white bread.
I used to stock up on these. Unfortunately at the moment my local Tesco's don't have these but the next ones up which are £3 a packet rather than the value ones.

I now tend to buy a single bag when needed rather than stock up in case the value prawns re-appear.

I don't know if this is a marketing ploy or the price of prawns has shot through the roof. Bag design is different as well. :Confused:
I have just run out, you have me worried there, I will find out when we nip in there next week. :Beg: hope my store has them.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Well yes I stock some of the commoner items mentioned> a tray of 12 cans of corn in Lidl works out at 28p. I like to prebait river swims with it. Sometimes the roach will take the bait trotted, but sometimes they wont. Its a presentation issue and the fact is that tinned sweetcorn drops like a stone and that's why it good for prebaiting. When you freeze the remains of a can of corn, and then thaw it out you find that the corn kernels thrown into the river all sink at a different rate and some even float. This is the stuff to use when trotting. Same principle as casters.

My real stock is redworms and if you want thousands of them put coarse cardboard in the compost heap with all the usual material.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”