Soda Bicarbonate and hemp

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Bargee
Bleak

Soda Bicarbonate and hemp

Post by Bargee »

Just wondering what other members thought are about the oft quoted addition of said chemical to hemp before 'stewing'. I believe it's supposed to render the Demon Seed a darker shade. Why is this desirable? Are there any other advantages? Personally, I have never done it. Although I'm not a fish, I find soda bicarbonate tastes terrible. I can't believe that a fish would be anything other than put off by it.

Martin James
Eel

Re: Soda Bicarbonate and hemp

Post by Martin James »

I've used it since I was a youngster, it certainly makes the seed slightly darker, so the white kernel shows up more clearly, I have also used a small bit of black plastic from fuse wire, with a white mark painted on it to to simulate the white kernel of hemp. It worked and was used by lots of London Anglers.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Same here, as Mr James has stated. I also add it to my tares and other particle/ hook bait beans that need darkening. As well as bicarb I also use Ferrous Sulfate Tablets, much easier to measure & dispense and less messy. I`ve not had any drop off in catch rate, using it and as for palatability, I don't really think we can compare our tastes to a fish......

Bargee
Bleak

Post by Bargee »

Why though, do you believe darker hemp is more effective? I certainly believe we can't compare our taste to that of fish - I certainly wouldn't be attracted to rancid blue cheesepaste but chub love it!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

When sodium bicarbonate is heated it breaks down to sodium carbonate (washing soda) which is quite alkaline, and this leads to some of the hemp oil reacting with the free sodium ions to form soap, which is much much more soluble in water than the original hemp oil. This hemp soap, so formed, being water soluble, has far greater fish pulling properties because fish can smell it much more easily. Anyways, that's my theory! To optimise the soap making effect, it's best to boil hemp for about forty minutes with sodium bicarbonate, and then let cool down slowly, or use the flask method.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

While there may be something in the attractive effect of hemp essences (I've used ground seed in groundbait for many years) I've always thought that the attraction of split hemp seed for fish was that they resemble a water 🐌. Which are black and white. Hence the efficacy of fake seed, hence the reason for darkening the husk.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Try using fake hemp without first throwing in plenty of the real stuff. It's pretty useless! And therefore most likely that the released oils are required for best results. The snail thing is most likely pure conjecture, but I guess one would have to ask the fish to be sure!

I have discovered natural oil that my cat goes crazy about, and I suspect so will fish. Come summertime I will investigate! Anyway, I believe that the released oils are a key factor.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”