Paste

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mr B

Paste

Post by Mr B »

Afternoon men, ( and women if your reading this)
Or should i say, honest scholar's

I would appreciate your views on mixing a good paste mix for Barbel.

I am not a lover of the new kinds of bait, even though they seem to get results. Ie, Halibut pellets.

My mix is usually, 3 to 1. Three parts dry bread crumbs to one of Sausage meat, If I am using a paste bait.
I must be honest and say that good old spam is a great bait but, I tend to get more Chub with it.
I cut it in 3/4 inch chunks, push the hook through it and put a stork of grass through the bend to stop the hook pulling through on the cast.

I am off in two weeks time for a crack at the Thames Barbel and was thinking "Lincolnshire sausage, got a great smell.... Trouble is, I will probably fry it up and scoff the lot!

Mr B.

By the way,
Piscator. Well sung, good woman; I thank you. I'll Give you another dish of fish one of these days and then beg another song of you.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: Paste

Post by Bob Brookes »

Mr B
Try this one!

25% Crumbled Stilton Cheese, 25% Grated Mature Cheddar, 50% flaky pastry mix(buy frozen from supermarket),

Add a few mils of blue cheese flavouring and powdered colouring (both optional).

Knead together thoroughly.

Can be used fresh or from frozen and improves with age.

Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Mr B

This one accounted for a 13 lb'er for me a few years ago!

Gorgonzolla or Ripe Stilton

Mature Cheddar

Tikka or Curry powder to suit

Use bread or better still, Soya flour as it carries no taste

Bind with an egg(s)

Use very little water (If any)
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Interesting! I will have to give that a try!

do you use a hair rig or just stick it on the hook....

Nice fish!

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Mr B,
Mould it round the hook. I have found that the hook will pull through it on the take/strike.
Simples,
Bob

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Odd one here, but it caught me a small upper Lea barbel on a scorching hot day when I discovered both baits I had taken were rendered useless in isolation:

50% Garlic flavoured luncheon meat, mashed up (or allowed to melt into a useless mess if we ever get any hot weather!)
50% stale bread previously flavoured with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon, broken into fine crumbs

Also effective for carp, and I suspect a variety of other species - except I've never been able to find that particular brand of garlic luncheon meat again to test it...

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Well they really do have a varied taste! I am cooking a beef curry at the moment (Smells good!) and I'm a good mind to freeze a little of the juice down to put in the next brew!

I am still having a bit of a struggle with my traditional mind. Always used basic baits. Worm, Gentles, Bread flake, crust and paste, Spam, par boiled potatoes etc
Never plastic boilies!
I know most of the good o'l boys would experiment with different baits, so I should try to role with the times without reverting to all the dreadful bags of "stuff' in the tackle shops now. At least we make our own.... I'll have to try finely mash up some garlic and try that some time..... in the spam?

Tight Lines sir.

Mr B

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”