Sand and maggots

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Slumption
Bleak

Sand and maggots

Post by Slumption »

I'm reading an old book at the moment 'Roach, Rudd and Bream fishing' it's a reprint of a 100 year old book. Anyway this book and several others reference keeping maggots in sand. Has anyone tried this? the book goes on to say they will last far longer than if kept this way. I have had squats supplied in sand but normally I've used them within a day of getting them.

Aitch
Pike

Re: Sand and maggots

Post by Aitch »

Squatts were historically kept in the red foundry sand and maggots usually in sawdaust... more latterly just naked in a tub and the lad in the shop asks if you want sawdust or maize meal... but I've bever heard of them being sold in sand
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

I've had squatts supplied in brick dust / sand but this is the only time I have seen it. The Frank Oates bait book discusses preparing maggots by putting them into a container of sand then shining a light on them so they burrow in. The sand is then riddled off after a few days. In the 'Roach, Rudd and Bream fishing book' the author is breeding maggots and then storing them in large pickle jars filled with damp sharp sand, he says this is to to scour the skin and then keep them. I would presume given the books age this was because they didn't have a fridge. I might try it and see what happens!

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

I always keep my maggots in bread crumb. This stops them sweating in the fridge and when I riddle them off I use the crumb in my ground bait.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

i use bran flake as it stops them sweating, maize goes into lumps in the fridge

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

I use rough bran and keep them in a big open box when their in the garage.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I kept them in France in a fridge - they came with a little sawdust so I added about the same amount of maize meal. They would keep for 2 weeks. I would take off a half-pint from the litre in the box to use. €8.00 per litre or about £3.75 per pint. I removed the lumps and replaced with fresh meal every 3-4 days.

Strangely they were not the going bait - but bread was - esp. punched. Up to 10+ bream excluding skimmers in a couple of hours or so.

It was hot!

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

I use porridge oats as maise go's a bit lumpy,

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Slightly off topic, but do people find that maggots don't keep so long these days? I don't use them often but I find that a week later most of them are casters. I don't add any extra sawdust/bran etc. Does that help, or am I just being sold elderly maggots?
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

John Milford
Perch

Post by John Milford »

Slumption wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:10 am I've had squatts supplied in brick dust / sand but this is the only time I have seen it. The Frank Oates bait book discusses preparing maggots by putting them into a container of sand then shining a light on them so they burrow in. The sand is then riddled off after a few days. In the 'Roach, Rudd and Bream fishing book' the author is breeding maggots and then storing them in large pickle jars filled with damp sharp sand, he says this is to to scour the skin and then keep them. I would presume given the books age this was because they didn't have a fridge. I might try it and see what happens!
Keeping maggots in damp sand makes perfect sense in the days prior to everyone having refrigerators.

The slow evaporation of the moisture in the sand would have provided quite effective cooling.

(I remember my old nan keeping her bottles of milk in a galvanised bucket of water in a shady spot by her back door step before she had a fridge. That would have been around 1959).
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”