Whatever next

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Ian
Eel

Whatever next

Post by Ian »

AC07CAAF-6990-47E7-94B0-99DBA8B34150.jpeg
Has anyone tried these?
I’ve had blue,green and orange maggots in the mix.maybe blue would work for mullet,but I wouldn’t bank on these colours in rivers.
I suppose blacks a natural colour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Troydog
Tench

Re: Whatever next

Post by Troydog »

I think they'll take any colour most of the time Ian. I get blues in the mix but until recently never put them on the hook, preferring reds. Crazy and illogical it is, but sometimes it takes a while to change a mind set.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Hmmmm...........the old fish are, or are not colour blind debate :tea:
niceroach

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

NiceRoach wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:24 pm Hmmmm...........the old fish are, or are not colour blind debate :tea:
The science is pretty solid on this, most fish are not colourblind and some can see ultraviolet. The debate is around how different colours are seen in fresh, salt and brackish water and the impact of both depth and sediment on the colour perception of fish. That’s my reading of the science anyway. :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ian wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:43 pm AC07CAAF-6990-47E7-94B0-99DBA8B34150.jpeg
Has anyone tried these?
I’ve had blue,green and orange maggots in the mix.maybe blue would work for mullet,but I wouldn’t bank on these colours in rivers.
It’s not purple by any chance is it? I buy a mix that includes those you mention plus purple. They all seem to work for me!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Duckett wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:50 pm
NiceRoach wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:24 pm Hmmmm...........the old fish are, or are not colour blind debate :tea:
The science is pretty solid on this, most fish are not colourblind and some can see ultraviolet. The debate is around how different colours are seen in fresh, salt and brackish water and the impact of both depth and sediment on the colour perception of fish. That’s my reading of the science anyway. :Hat:
Tend to agree, I'm sure they see different colours perhaps not to the same extent as humans but they definitely see shades. Bronze coloured maggots were once considered 'deadly' and more recently red, luminous or flouro. Just last week I couldn't by a bite as the fish were preoccupied on spawning no bites on pellet or sweetcorn, but a wafter bright flouro coloured bait saved the day, with two fish.
niceroach

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Duckett wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:52 pm
Has anyone tried these?
It’s not purple by any chance is it? I buy a mix that includes those you mention plus purple. They all seem to work for me!
It did have a purple tinge duckett.i just took them to be more black.god knows if I will even see them again,I seem to get different colours each buy ha.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

NiceRoach wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:40 pm
Duckett wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:50 pm
Tend to agree, I'm sure they see different colours perhaps not to the same extent as humans but they definitely see shades. Bronze coloured maggots were once considered 'deadly' and more recently red, luminous or flouro. Just last week I couldn't by a bite as the fish were preoccupied on spawning no bites on pellet or sweetcorn, but a wafter bright flouro coloured bait saved the day, with two fish.
I’ve heard fluoros work well for bream,I just can’t get my fingers to put them on the hook lol

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ian wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:23 am
Duckett wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:52 pm
Has anyone tried these?
It did have a purple tinge duckett.i just took them to be more black.god knows if I will even see them again,I seem to get different colours each buy ha.
I like them for trotting because I can ring the changes on hook bait colour. It may just be a case of, as my old fella used to say, "if an angler has faith in a bait, it will work. If they don't, it wont", but I swear it can make a difference. However, the range of colours seems to change all the time. Green and purple being as rare as hens teeth!

On the flouro bait point raised by you and NiceRoach, I have never used this except for soft plastics for lure fishing. I tend to use them at night and even have a little light box to "re-charge" them! I've never caught anything with them in fresh water but at sea they have accounted for Bass, Mackerel, Garfish and Wrasse for me. I've also heard of them catching Cod, Whiting, Pouting and Flounder. Well off topic but, to be honest, at night I prefer vibrating, black and noisy hard lures like the Storm Thunderstick, or poppers.
Last edited by Duckett on Tue May 29, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

It’s a b James coloured maggot worth a bob or two :fishing2: mike

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”