Caster conundrum

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Troydog
Crucian Carp

Re: Caster conundrum

Post by Troydog » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:21 am

Yes Gary I don't buy casters. I either turn my own or get given them by some of the Winter League boys at the end of the match. So I freeze them dry in 100 / 150 gm small plastic bags (Lidl). On defrosting I tip the bag into a pail of water to skim off the floaters. I then put those into my ground bait mix of soil, hemp and breadcrumb. I then use the sinkers for hook bait; on the river I prefer to use a dropper rather than loose feed, because I don't necessarily want the fish (roach) coming up into mid water to intercept slow sinking sinkers - if you get what I mean.....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:25 pm

Next time I have some left over I will give your method a try.
When I have done it in the past I froze them in a bottle of water.
They were ok when first defrosted but over night went black and mushy.

Duckett
Rudd

Post by Duckett » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Troydog wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:03 pm
With a couple of pints of maggots in the bottom of my garage fridge I know that it would be a high-risk strategy to smuggle them into the caravan before we set off for France this weekend.
I have always restricted my holiday baits to things like hemp, tares and sweetcorn which have a sound behavioural track record.
So, these last few days I’ve been turning the bait into 100 gram bags of casters which will stay in the freezer until we are back in August. Before use I will drop them into a pail of water to skim off the floaters.
Point is that because the bait is now dead, sinkers should stay as sinkers on the river bank. So why don’t we always freeze casters to stop them turning during use?
Have you ever tried putting live but cold maggots from the fridge into plastic bags, gently squeezing out as much air as possible, sealing the bags and placing them in a chiller bag with a few freezer blocks? The go dormant and my experience is that they will last 48+ hours like that. At the other end of the journey, open the bags and put the maggots in a wide bowl and most of them will wake up. Box them and put them in a fridge.

I used to have to buy maggots mail order and this was how they were transported from maggot farm to me during the summer months.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:20 pm

I freeze them but then they are added to ground bait and balled in all within half hour of coming out the freezer. Bream love them, I do the same with wheat, corn or any small bits. Gives them something to graze on. Casters are a bit of a black art, there is a fine line between a great bait and an off one. A good shop that put time into turning them is the the only place I'd buy them from.

Troydog
Crucian Carp

Post by Troydog » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:38 pm

Thank you gentlemen - some great tips here.
John Harding

Troydog
Crucian Carp

Post by Troydog » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Sorry for the delay Gary. Yes I put the casters in plastic bag batches of about 150 grams, perfectly dry. When I want to fish I defrost naturally and pop them into a small pail of water. I skim off the floaters and mix them in my soil, hemp, red worm ground bait to ensure that the floaters sink. The sinkers I use as hook bait and they work just the same as freshly turned casters.
All the bets for now,
Tim
John Harding

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”