Crafty carp – help needed

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Hexagraffiti
Minnow

Re: Crafty carp – help needed

Post by Hexagraffiti »

Not unless you have some Tonkin butt section stakes about you, and delivered in a Van Helsing stylee! Still probably not worth it, the thumper unlike the Vampire will keep coming back!

Good luck and try good old Cheddar on the lift method like Tench fishing.

All the Best,

Nick

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I am saddened to hear your tale re the thumper Beresford, some people are just like that and I would do as you, don't get stressed just walk away from it. Many folk these days seem to have terrible attitude and just will not be reasoned with let alone educated. One little tip when using bread in the margins.. at my local the carp are very wary of anything that has a crust attached they seem to suck and slurp the bait apart until the bare hook makes its way to the bottom. I take a nice very large tear of flake put the hook point in and then do a little squeeze of the flake around the line above the hook. It makes a soggy mass of bread about 2-3 inches across but if set up in the scum it seems to be taken with relish. At least that is what I have found and I am sure some fish get educated to crust attached to bread. Anyway good luck and I hope you get a peaceful days fishing in the very near future.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thank Nick another technique to try.

Reeling thank you again. An interesting observation and method that I'll try. I have noticed the carp at this lake sucking to try to break up the bread although there was a very bold take in open water of one of my free offerings. There was an article in Waterlog back in it's magazine days in which the writer called that fish holding area of scum 'swamp snot'. Perhaps not the most elegant run of phrase but it's stuck with me and I really ought to pay it more attention.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

My first decent sized Carp caught on an old cane rod and centrepin, was at the windward end of a lake in the scum, and my bait was literally banging against the bank.. That must rate as one of my most memorable and exciting fish to catch. I understand why it could be called swamp snot, it does sometimes look like a bubbly mass of yukiness but the fish love it and home in on the concentrated food source. It could be they feel safe as the food is not in open water and your line lays on top out of their view, any way good luck and I hope you do well. :Thumb:

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I've caught carp through swamp snot and it's a good idea, but when margin crust fishing I think it's often more important to spot where the carp like to come in - they seem to favour certain spots to take crust right under the bank, often for apparent reason, so it's worth watching out for that.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Gary Bills wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:46 pm I've caught carp through swamp snot and it's a good idea, but when margin crust fishing I think it's often more important to spot where the carp like to come in - they seem to favour certain spots to take crust right under the bank, often for no apparent reason, so it's worth watching out for that.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've noticed at this lake the carp seem to approach the swims I choose from my left but it's interesting what you write about looking for the favoured paths.

Fishing this evening was a mighty success. At times my swim had three or four carp feeding well. Torn chunks of Spam fried in Paprika accounted for a lovely common of about 15lbs and a leather of about 12lbs. Both fought hard – especially the smaller fish but my much used and much loved Croft MkIV Carp was up to the job. I have to nip back at first light as I think I dropped my sunglasses…
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Beresford wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:42 pm I've noticed at this lake the carp seem to approach the swims I choose from my left but it's interesting what you write about looking for the favoured paths.

Fishing this evening was a mighty success. At times my swim had three or four carp feeding well. Torn chunks of Spam fried in Paprika accounted for a lovely common of about 15lbs and a leather of about 12lbs. Both fought hard – especially the smaller fish but my much used and much loved Croft MkIV Carp was up to the job. I have to nip back at first light as I think I dropped my sunglasses…
Great outcome! :Hat:

Windjammer

Post by Windjammer »

You could use a bread punch and cut cylinders to use on the hook, maybe use a bunch of small pieces rather than a big chunk. Failing that, mash up a luncheon meat sandwich and use that paste. I agree with frying in powders, you could try some fishmeal or ground trout pellets powder.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”