Crafty carp – help needed

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Crafty carp – help needed

Post by Snape »

It maybe the shape of the meat. Most people cut cubes but I always tear it and use odd shaped lumps and bury the hook.
If it is the colour then tear it up beforehand and lightly fry the pieces in curry powder which will darken them quite a bit.
Have you tried other meaty things like meatballs or pepperami?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Freelined lobworm,or freelined blackberries, or large piece of very slow sinking fresh bread.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Snape and Julian – thank you I'll try all those suggestions. I'm in for an interesting time.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

you could try spam fried with an oxo cube
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Try a natural bait, worm float fished often outfishes meat and corn in my experience .

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Harry wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:46 pm Get on the Prawns... I have been carping with them for nearly a year and had fish to 18lbs on them... size 8-6 hook and thread the prawn onto the hook so the hook exits the back of the prawn... freelined or with a couple of swan shot link ledger for casting weight :Thumb:
I've used prawns a great deal, for at least seven years, and on some water they are indeed "the answer", but on other waters the carp just don't want to know, which is odd. What about maggots - a big bunch on a decent hook, and free offerings scattered round? I sympathise about bolting fish...I've hardly fished this year, because of family illnesses and bereavements, mainly; but when I have fished, more often than not, the carp have been driving me mad. Sometimes they just take a bait in their lips and move off, and a hair is probably not the answer. I use "sight-bobs" as floats, which are mega-sensitive, but on one water I know, you can watch the line running off after the "bob", into the depths, and I still miss! Interesting information about surface takes in the weeds.... on the same water I've just mentioned, I have managed a run of doubles with the old fashioned margin crust technique - big hunk is crust below the rod tip, no line on the surface, and 12 inches of slack between reel and first ring... might that work on your water, Beresford? if it does, it's very exciting! :Hat:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Maggots and floating crust are well worth a go.

I fished this morning. They didn't pick up Pepperami but are still going nuts for micro pellets. I caught one small fish on pellets and plenty of fish were picking them up but dropping the bait without the hook (new and sharp) penetrating. I had fish spook frequently when I was using a nymphing type indicator. It's the line running through a shallow swim that they either see or more likely rub against that sends them off.

My next trial will be fried SPAM with curry powder and or paprika. I will free line this in the same shallow margin. I'll tear irregular lumps as Snape has suggested. I'm also going to try floating crust.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I would go to the end of the lake where the wind has blown any debris into the bank or reeds then put out a freelined piece of floating bread bang up against any debris or the bank.. right under your rod tip.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thanks Reedling your idea will be my plan for tomorrow – the wind has blown right down the lake, which is not the normal direction and there is now a fantastic amount of debris concentrated a one end (the lake is just under three acres). I watched the debris area for about ten minutes and there were certainly carp moving through it frequently enough to make it worth fishing.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I fished today using roughly torn pieces of SPAM fried with paprika. I didn't have curry powder. I caught one small leather of about six pounds that fought like nuts. After that capture I witnessed four fish bolt once they had their mouth over the bait. I now think it's also a hook/presentation issue so I'm going to use Multi-strand with a size 8 hook.

I managed to get the odd fish feeding on bread close in but the ducks were a pain. Not as much as another thumper though who declared the lake was empty of fish as he couldn't catch one within ten minutes of starting. After his thumping I packed up as I know full well that it kills the lake for hours. When I walked past him I was mortified to see what looked like a cane rod and other vintage items. I didn't know cane and thumping went together. I considered telling him why I was packing up but you never know how folks will react so I didn't bother.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”