Tonight's the night for lobworms

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Troydog
Tench

Tonight's the night for lobworms

Post by Troydog »

With Autumn fishing arriving as we speak, the lobworm really comes into its own. Whether you seek large fish of any species, the lobworm will deliver results.
Tonight I would expect to collect 50 worms to be kept in a 20 litre plastic bucket containing screwed up sheets of damp newspaper. Lobs will keep like this for six months. I check mine every month or so for any dead ones, but there rarely are any if they are collected carefully in the first place.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Re: Tonight's the night for lobworms

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Well how did you get on???????
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Blown away in the storm I expect!!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Well funnily enough gents, although the days weather was perfect in every respect, when it came to darkness the wind was outrageous and given that more rain is on the way I stayed in!! However I've just been through my two lobworm buckets and I have 50 in stock.
The River Wye is 4 metres 10 and just about peaking, so tomorrow afternoon there will be a couple of high water swims to try. I'm just off to put some bait in both as we speak. I hope that you both have a great weekend. I'm looking forward to the Redditch Fair where I may meet some TFF members for the first time.....
John Harding

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Bloody hell we could do with some of the rain you guys in the West and North are getting....our rivers and lakes are on their bones....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

The rain never seems to move across to the east. Its the Jet Stream that the forecasters talk about these days, especially on the forecast for the week ahead. The problem seems to be that weather moving east is interrupted by High Pressure systems.....
John Harding

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Could you supply more specific details about how you keep your worm please?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Well Snape, I keep plastic buckets in the garage. They are old 30 litre label glue buckets from Westons Cider. They have lids and I drill about 30 random 1/8th in holes in the lids. Any type of newspaper is separated into sheets and then I plunge them into my water butt before putting them in the buckets. Usually about two weekday Daily Telegraphs is about the amount.
On a night like tonight, it has rained all day and now it is drizzling, no wind. Perfect. I had promised Shazza a romantic evening tonight and I will of course honour that commitment. Nonetheless there will be an intermission when I will be out with the torch and a small bucket. I would expect to get between 30 and 50 lobs. I inspect the buckets every month or so but provided the collection is careful - many lobs will be completely out of their holes tonight, so there will be no tug of war to get them out, they last happily for months.
My session on the Wye this morning would have been (on casters) pretty poor had it not been for six lobworms that I took with me!!
John Harding

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Troydog wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:18 pm Well Snape, I keep plastic buckets in the garage. They are old 30 litre label glue buckets from Westons Cider. They have lids and I drill about 30 random 1/8th in holes in the lids. Any type of newspaper is separated into sheets and then I plunge them into my water butt before putting them in the buckets. Usually about two weekday Daily Telegraphs is about the amount.
On a night like tonight, it has rained all day and now it is drizzling, no wind. Perfect. I had promised Shazza a romantic evening tonight and I will of course honour that commitment. Nonetheless there will be an intermission when I will be out with the torch and a small bucket. I would expect to get between 30 and 50 lobs. I inspect the buckets every month or so but provided the collection is careful - many lobs will be completely out of their holes tonight, so there will be no tug of war to get them out, they last happily for months.
My session on the Wye this morning would have been (on casters) pretty poor had it not been for six lobworms that I took with me!!
Thanks. Do you feed them when they are in the buckets with newspaper?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

I Snape - no not really. They eat their way through newspaper, just as red worms thrive on soggy cardboard. At this time of the year you can put a handful of grass clippings and fallen leaves in the buckets but I have never noticed much difference as a result.
Good luck with it all.
John Harding

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”