Fermented sweetcorn

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Ian
Eel

Fermented sweetcorn

Post by Ian »

I was just wondering if anyone can suggest any quick way to ferment sweetcorn.i have had a tin of sweetcorn ferment after a couple of days after opening,but only the once and it was a great hookbait for roach.i remember the juice in the tin was thick and sticky.a bit of a silly question really,I just find it funny that out of every tin I’ve ever bought only one has fermented.thanks
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Fermented sweetcorn

Post by Old Man River »

I always freeze the remainder of any tin I open, and notice if it is defrosted and used on a warm day it seems to " ferment " as you describe as the day progresses . When I use frozen corn purchased in a bag the same thing happens after being refrozen.
Not scientific at all, but maybe there is something to it ?

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

If you want anything sugary to ferment quickly then just put it in a warm place at about body temperature!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Adding a bit of yeast should swing the odds of getting fermentation rather than putrefaction.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Cheers troops
I will try yeast and leaving it at room temp.
Seems to me the fish really like it.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Yeasts can enter things from the atmosphere and, if sugars are present, cause them to ferment. The Lambic style of beer from Belgium is made this way, with no brewers yeast added. This is most often consumed in the UK as fruit beer (Kriek etc.), Gueuze or Faro. Cider and Perry both rely on yeasts present on the skin of the fruit, washed into the juice when pressed.

However, the Lambic fermentation process, to the best of my recollection, happens over several days. I'm not at all sure a tin of corn at the waterside is open long enough. So, as Vole suggests, I think the corn it simply going off or, on a hot day, cooking slowly.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Your can also add a wee splash of hemp juice to bolster the fermentation. It contains natural sugars and added scent. Also fermented hemp is a killer bait as well.

Hemingway

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Santiago wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:03 pm Your can also add a wee splash of hemp juice to bolster the fermentation. It contains natural sugars and added scent. Also fermented hemp is a killer bait as well.
Thanks Santiago, I like to sound of this and will give it a go. Out of interest, how long do you find the process takes in the summer (temperature being a crucial deciding factor in fermentation)?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Just a couple of days.

Hemingway

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Santiago wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:15 pm Just a couple of days.
Thanks, that's a great help.

Phil

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”