Caster's

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Red Creel

Caster's

Post by Red Creel »

Yes i know they are expensive but to me their cost is easily outweighed by their ability to pick out the better fish.They are my number one trotting bait in the summer and autumn, well at least until the first frost's after which they tend to lose their appeal on my local river's at any rate.

Their finest hour was two summer's ago when i had the brainwave of trying them for Mullet.Getting fed up of my breadflake being constantly ignored by these ultra spooky ultra frustrating fish i returned to the estuary with a couple of pints of the brown gold.The mullet were enthusiatic for them right from the off but being much smaller than routine mullet bait's a small hook was required.A size 16 was as small as i dare go, but hooking up to a mullet heading for mooring buoy's at speed is not to be taken lightly!

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Caster's

Post by Snape »

Thanks Red Creel. I spent many hours this summer having my bread totally ignored by some huge shoals of mullet in the Channel Islands. Next summer I'm taking casters. :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The VFC
Brown Trout

Re: Caster's

Post by The VFC »

Ahhhh - mullet fishing: I remember it well! On Scilly we'd spend many hours forking stinking piles of rotting seaweed into the sea - the resulting trail of maggots drawing in hundreds of grey mullet up to the 8lb mark (and the occasional double could be spied!). Fly fishing with a little foam grub imitation then produced superb sport - though other mulleteers preferred crab floats and a fine flouro line with real maggots.

In the summer we were lucky enough to be able to fish for Golden Grey Mullet - this sub-species much preferring harbour ragworm on a couple of mini-trebles and retrieved in a spinning fashion.

Never had much luck with bread overall.....

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”