Slugs

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Slugs

Post by Mark »

Has anyone used the garden slug as bait and what have you caught on them. Personally I haven't tried them.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Slugs

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I hear that the are really good for targetting Chub, apparently it's the plop that attracts the fish and takes can be pretty instant and violent.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

How can you not have tried slugs? Brilliant bait for chub, and the bites are usually pretty noticeable, if not always hittable. Cast 'em high so they plop in above your chub (whether you know they're there or merely suspect it) and await results. Horrid things to handle though, and removing one from the hook after it's been through a chub's throat teeth is a messy old business.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Well I plan to fish for Chub this coming Friday afternoon, so I may just find myself a few Slugs to take along. Nothing very exciting, just the Wallington that runs near me, you can step across a lot of the river, but there are the odd deep glide and Chud to over 3lbs. My best from the river is 1lb 4oz so I'd like to get one of the better ones, perhaps Slug is the way forward.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP »

Ref the nastiness of handling said slugs I had the pleasure of listening to a talk by Martin James and he gave a great tip for this - Sugar Tongs !!

Works well and they are quite cheap from antique shops or car boot sales

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I love freelining black slugs. Cast upstream and feel for bites which are usually very strong.
I even caught a jack pike over one cast it out let it run down then on the retrieved it was popping across the surface and the jack grabbed it.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Absolute old faithful, and stop being wimps, they're just slugs...... (Bah, mutter, bunch of girls).... Upstream slugging eh snape!!?
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Funny you should mention Slugs.

I have collected some from the garden for a trip on Saturday with my Son and his friend, going to see if I can tempt the Carp (or any other fish for that matter) with them at a hole in the ground pond in Bracknell called the Royal Berkshire Fishery.

Also collected some lovely warms which I am hoping to use for Perch (but again any fish is a welcome fish) and have a crack at beating my PB perch of 3lbs 3oz. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

DontKnowMuch
Roach

Post by DontKnowMuch »

A lake I fished back in the 80s was absolutely crawling with slugs. Big and black they were and I figured that the carp in the lake surely must eat these because of the number that dropped into the water. I gave a good amount of time and effort fishing these for the grand total of precisely no carp.

For chub they're well tried and tested and well worth a go but I've yet to speak to anyone that's had a carp out to one.

Anyone?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The first time I fished Redmire I thought I had hit on a sure fire winner and pitched up with a bucket of snails from my garden - 100s of them.
I crushed the shells and started lobbing them in at the start of the week feeling sure that the carp would love them and that when, nearer the end of the week, I attached one to a hook I was bound to catch. Result - blank!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”