traditional fishing bait

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: traditional fishing bait

Post by Dave Burr »

Bare hook? At times they're deadly. I went pike fishing once, set up my gear and lowered my snap tackle into the margin to check the depth - the float bobbed and sank. I struck and played in a pike of about 8lbs fairly hooked in the scissors. I said to my mate "They're having it today, we can't go wrong"

It was the only 'bite' of the day.

Can I throw Red Kidney Beans into the pot? They can be very good especially the chilli ones.

Moley
Brown Trout

Re: traditional fishing bait

Post by Moley »

Fishing for Mullet in the harbour at Lagos, Portugal, I witnessed the going 'local bait' in action. :hide:

Mullet, as you may know, have a rather catholic taste to say the least! Location in Lagos harbour was easy, find the nearest sewage outfall and there they were enjoying the fresh, how can I say this without upsetting the delicate sensibilities of some on this site, oh I know the old army saying for it.......Richard*!!!

Any way back to the story, it would seem everytime some one 'flushed' in the sea-front cafes, a new supply of 'Richard' went swimming out to sea, followed by a pack of 'gourmet' fishy diners. The local bait was a 'special' paste with fresh 'Richard' mixed with some other noxious base mix. As an upstanding Brit I just could not bring myself to sink to the, all too base, level of the local experts.....not even to catch a Mullet :roll:

So there I was fishing for a couple of hours every night, trying every trick I knew but still getting the old El Blanco :hairout:

My consumption of the old duty-free fags, I still smoked then, was getting serious. So much so, I created my own personal cloud. By the end of several days watching these tricksy Mullet, effectively cock a disrespectful fin at my efforts to catch them, I had had enough :brickwall:

Out of pure frustration, I threw my fag butts at the fish, using language that would make a docker blush! But what was this, the tricksy Mullet started picking the butts off the surface...seemingly with relish. So what was I to do? Yep, you've guessed it; smoke some more. Enough to provide bait and groundbait......genius :thumb:

So I threw out some more butts/ground bait followed swiftly by my free-lined hookbait/ butt. The diners arrived on cue and glory of glories, fish on or in the local parlance..........FEEEEEEESHHH!!!

A crowd gathered, offering the usual conflicting advice, all in Portugese etc. Suffice to say with all this 'help' the fish began to see my side of the argument and after five minutes or so, came to see me on the promenade, much to the excitement of all present. A cafe owner came out and took the fish off my hands, no doubt to be the 'Special' on the Menu. I didn't argue too much as he gave me a beer in its place :cool:

Also, I have found through experience, that for the sake of International Relations, it is best protocol to go along with the local majority and at least I had not resorted to the local 'going bait' having found my own alternative way to success....the Fag Butt!

Oh I nearly forgot, what was the successful bait manufacturer I hear you ask?

Players of course!!! :hahaha:

Mole Power!!! :sun:

*To rhyme with Richard the Third, yes he 'very late' of a well known Leicester Municpal Car Park by way of the Battle of Bosworth!
Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”