Boilies.....?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Boilies.....?

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I hear gass from all around the room!!! :confused:

I know, the least traditional thing you could find on a traditional fishing forum. But, having yesterday purchased the equipment to make my own baits I was wondering..........

Could traditional flavours be incorporated into boilies???
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Boilies.....?

Post by Snape »

I don't use boilies but I do use paste.
If paste is considered trad then why does immersing the rolled paste in boiling water change its status?
I would suggest it is the manner in which it is fished rather than the bait itself.
Even CY fishes a side hooked boilie in APFA in monster myths :o

I'm sure you can incorporate almost any flavour in a boilie.

I recall making my own in the 80s using the recipes from Carp fever by Kevin Maddocks - great book.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Very good point Snape, and shows why you are our top student!!!! :thumb:

I was thinking of shaping said boilies into little centrepins. Clove flavour centrepins, that would be traditional.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I think boilies are a great bait, and what's so different in using boilies compared to homemade traditional baits. Making your own bait is great fun, and catching on it is very rewarding. Fred wiltons theories are very interesting as well.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Dodn't Fred say "Big baits catch big fish"??
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

My Dad used to make his own boiles back in the late 70's and through the 80's, I don't really see an issue with using them.

Ok they may not be traditional but as I have said before, it's not like they couldn’t have been made back in the day in one form or another. :wink:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Personally I have never touched a boily and don’t ever want to. The name just suggests something too modern to me even though they have been around for years. If I think of the word boily, carbon comes straight to mind, but I do like your centrepin idea SK. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Mark wrote:Personally I have never touched a boily and don’t ever want to. The name just suggests something too modern to me even though they have been around for years. If I think of the word boily, carbon comes straight to mind, but I do like your centrepin idea SK. :thumb:
I rarely use 'em, and I hate the name too - but a bait is a bait and, as Martin pointed out, boiled spuds were the first boilies really... So how can one object?

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

I've no problem with them - they're just another bait after all. It's only in our minds there's room for distinction, and I think the main reason some people object to them is the blinkered way in which they are sometimes used. An idiot with a bag of boilies is no more a nuisance than the same idiot with a bag of groundbait after all; it's what he does with it that matters. As for those who object on purely 'traditional' grounds, well that's up to you, but don't expect a round of applause from me.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I don't have a problem with boilies or anyone who uses them and I know they do catch fish. We can all use whatever bait we like but no matter how deep you go into it in my eyes boilies are not a traditional fisherman's bait. :notlisterning:

There, I’ve had me little moan and I've calmed down now. :cry:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”