Tinned Meat

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Tinned Meat

Post by Snape »

Up to half a tin has been found to be very effective!

See http://www.stevepopebarbelfishing.co.uk/?p=311
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I rarely use meat , I should use it more often.
I've only fished rivers a handful of times - so I'm not normally targetting chub and barbel.
However I should use it more for tench, and for floatfishing for carp.
One of the local tackle shops does sell tins of bacon grill.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Meat flavourings?

I occasionally coat my tinned meats with fajita spice mix. A little extra attraction in coloured water, well that's the theory any way!
I've not tried it but sugar is also supposed to be effective?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

Tesco has garlic Spam, last year it was on the shelves, I used to pick up a couple of tins and they would refuse to sell it to me because they had no price code for it. This went on for about 5 weeks until it disappeared. It was there last weekend at a reduced price so I bought a few tins to give it a try.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I've been using tinned meat for yonks. Spam works well, as does any other type of luncheon meat. I find bacon grill good too, especially when casting as it is a bit tougher...

It is definitely a warm water bait, I find the fat congeals in the colder weather and stops the attractant leaking out.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Some of the tinned meats (particularly the cheapest ones) float in cold water as well, due to the high fat levels. Tinned meats give carp in particular all sorts of digestion issues in cold water. Feed them enough of it and they will go off the feed and suffer for quite some time, affecting other anglers sport as well.

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

Do you guy's use long shank hooks? And how do you hook it on these days?

Taprobanes

Post by Taprobanes »

I like a wide gap normal barbless, I hook right through and turn the hook so the the point is at the side of the cube. It works for me.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

When trundling baits along the river bed I simply push the hook through the meat bend first, pull it out the other side so that the meat slides onto the line, then twist the hook and bury it back into the meat so it doesn't slip easily back through the hole you made in the first place. This way there is no hook point exposed to get caught up and damaged whilst the bait is moving. Just the same way as I put it on as a kid actually. Never had issues striking out of meat and I do use the firmer Bacon Grill for almost all of my meat fishing.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Shaun Harrison wrote:When trundling baits along the river bed I simply push the hook through the meat bend first, pull it out the other side so that the meat slides onto the line, then twist the hook and bury it back into the meat so it doesn't slip easily back through the hole you made in the first place. This way there is no hook point exposed to get caught up and damaged whilst the bait is moving. Just the same way as I put it on as a kid actually. Never had issues striking out of meat and I do use the firmer Bacon Grill for almost all of my meat fishing.
Likewise but I put a bit of a blade of grass between the hook and the meat to cushion it on casting - not sure whether it makes a difference.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”