Boilies for barbel

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Boilies for barbel

Post by Mark »

Nobby wrote:On a more serious note, Mark don't take it to heart if a couple of chaps get a bit heated over what they think 'traditional' angling is...it is after all, something they feel passionate about. A lot.

As Yeats said...'Tread carefully, for you tread on my dreams' or something like that.

Boilies? well one could make an argument that they are traditional now, so many anglers have used them for so long...and the hair rig, didn't the chap who thought of it first do so in 1959? I believe he passed away last year.

What I find with folk like your members is that they are the sort of people who don't turn their alarm, if they have one, up to full blast, who set their mobile, if it really must come with them, to 'vibrate'.

Who would never cast out across 6 swims with three rods and never cast out to the far bank if another angler set-up over there.

They don't raise their voices and shout peg to peg and they bring cake, biscuits and tea to share.

They enjoy the beauty and craftsmanship of an old cane rod or the engineering brilliance of a fifty year old but perfectly balanced centrepin from before the days of CNC mills and laser etchers.

They're the sort of fellows who look at a Paul Cook sketch for half an hour as the memories flood back and they smile gently to themselves.

They're traditional anglers, that's all.
I know they are Nobby, I think you have made some good points above. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Well said Nobby, sums it up for me perfectly.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

As has been said before it is mostly about attitude and nearly always involves taking a gentler and simpler approach to fishing whilst appreciating the whole setting and not being too hung up on catching.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Snape wrote:As has been said before it is mostly about attitude and nearly always involves taking a gentler and simpler approach to fishing whilst appreciating the whole setting and not being too hung up on catching.
I think it was in the early 90's Snape when two chaps said "It's not how to catch, but how to enjoy".
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Boilies for barbel? Yes, why not. Dynamite Source are excellent, and I've caught almost every species of coarse fish on them, to good sizes. The little 10mm ones are especially useful. Frozen are probably better than shelf-life, but I catch OK on the latter, and they are convenient. Tench, bream, barbel and carp love them. However, any savoury boilie on a fishmeal base will catch barbel, especially the spicier ones.

Should you use them? Of course not, if you don't want to. No-one should use anything they don't want to, anymore than they should tell another angler what he or she should be using in order to comply with an arbitrary concept. I catch more barbel on luncheon meat of some kind than I do on boilies, mainly because that's what I use most. Nevertheless, I'll use a boilie if I think it advantageous to do so, or I find I've run out of spam.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”