Swim Feeders...?

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Swim Feeders...?

Post by Dave Burr »

Its the case with a lot of fishing tackle and methods, a number of anglers develop them sometimes at a similar time but history only remembers the ones that shout loudest.

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

pduffield wrote:Just came across the article below in an old fishing handbook produced by Caperns to promote their products. According to my copy, the original was printed in 1953. revised several times, my copy being the October 1965 edition. I don't know if the 'useful tip!' was in the original or appeared in a later edition, but it does describe early use of an open ended groundbait feeder.
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg

Is that right record chub 10 lb 8 oz and grayling 7lb 2 oz ????

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Lechmere wrote:Its the case with a lot of fishing tackle and methods, a number of anglers develop them sometimes at a similar time but history only remembers the ones that shout loudest.
Very true, and it never knows anything about the one that keep it quiet (well not for a while anyway :wink: ). In respect of my earlier post I remember personally using womens hair curlers as feeders in the late 50's/early 60's.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

JerryC wrote: In respect of my earlier post I remember personally using womens hair curlers as feeders in the late 50's/early 60's.
I remember my uncle showing me some hair curlers in his tackle box when I was a child some time in the 1960s. Funny how some things stick in your mind, I would have been less than 10 years old at the time, but I can 'see' them like it was yesterday, I even remember that they were a dark brown colour.

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

DaveM wrote: Is that right record chub 10 lb 8 oz and grayling 7lb 2 oz ????
Yes, some records were removed, I believe when the British Record Fish Committee was formed, as they were not properly authenticated.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

pduffield wrote:
JerryC wrote: In respect of my earlier post I remember personally using womens hair curlers as feeders in the late 50's/early 60's.
I remember my uncle showing me some hair curlers in his tackle box when I was a child some time in the 1960s. Funny how some things stick in your mind, I would have been less than 10 years old at the time, but I can 'see' them like it was yesterday, I even remember that they were a dark brown colour.
Yes, it was most considerate of the curler manufacturers of the time to keep keep them 'feeder coloured' I always remember them as brownish.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

pduffield wrote:
DaveM wrote: Is that right record chub 10 lb 8 oz and grayling 7lb 2 oz ????
Yes, some records were removed, I believe when the British Record Fish Committee was formed, as they were not properly authenticated.
Although the BRFC was formed in 1957 it wasn't until 1968 that they had a massive clearout. For some records there were vacant spots so minimum qualifying weights were introduced, and in some cases it took a while to get a new record, particularly true with silver bream - old record 4-8 - qualifying weight 2lbs, eventually down to 1lb and filled with one of 15oz though now back up around 3lbs. They didn't research old records much either hence Fred Buller's campaign to get Almer Tryon's barbel reinstated.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Out of interest the first open ended swim feeder we would recognise today was 'invented' by R A Maslen and F E Wiles and patented [no. 642239] on August 20th 1948 No. 22027 [class48]
I quote....
" A perforated container filled with groundbait is attached to the fishing line so as to lie behind the hook bait. The container is an open-ended cylinder of celuloid weighted by a lead strip "

Source: Maxtone Graham - To Catch a Fisherman 1984

Mike

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Mike Wilson wrote:Out of interest the first open ended swim feeder we would recognise today was 'invented' by R A Maslen and F E Wiles and patented [no. 642239] on August 20th 1948 No. 22027 [class48]
I quote....
" A perforated container filled with groundbait is attached to the fishing line so as to lie behind the hook bait. The container is an open-ended cylinder of celuloid weighted by a lead strip "

Source: Maxtone Graham - To Catch a Fisherman 1984

Mike
That sounds very feasible Mike, I would guess that we were using 'curlers' on the rivers from about 1958. Now even with a Broadwood education I don't believe I thought up the idea at the age of 10 :wink: but probably picked it up from my father and his friends - we also spent a lot of time at Jimmy James' (B James, Ealing) and obviously picked up a lot of info. there.
Jerry

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

......and with careful cutting one can make very good minnow traps out of clear plastic drinks bottles but not quite up to Wadham's standard which collapsed nicely. See Jerry the Broadwood education wasn't totally wasted on us [ I think!].

Mike

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”